1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches Ryzen Threadripper 1900X, dates bootable NVMe RAID

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 31 Aug 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

AMD are knocking it out the park, this will probably be the basis of my upgrade, that's all the cores I need on a platform that's not dead in the water :cooldude:

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Cherry picked, super binned 1800X that might be good for a 4.2Ghz 24/7 OC and has access to X399's quad channel RAM and full PCI-E lane allocation? Yep, that's a desirable chip right there!

EDIT: That's how you do entry-level HEDT, Intel.

Guest-56605 likes this.
  4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Well...I just wish I'd known about threadripper before I bought the 1700.
    I wonder, what must I do in order to convince the missus that another upgrade is in order?

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It won't offer up any more performance really so unless you want the IO or even more cores, 1700 is not to be sniffed at. I'm not even sure if I need it anymore if I am honest having broken up my old machine waiting for this upgrade which was 3x290s, 1x NVMe and 3xSSDs in raid, I can probably get by with 1 1080Ti these days and a couple of NVMe drives, but as my old system didn't start out with 3x cards and NVM drives who knows what the next few years will bring, more IO makes sense, didn't want all that dark lane stuff, things switching off when you add in cards etc.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Yeah, I know...but the name: Threadripper ... Thread ripper!
    I mean, come on. And also, more cores is good for my e-peen. :grin:

7. wst

wst Minimodder

Well, I guess that locks TR4 into "possibly affordable" territory for when I upgrade next year. I'm hoping competition drives down prices generally though, so who knows what's going to happen. This time last year, AMD were in the doldrums.

Tags: Add Tags