1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD outs Polaris-based Radeon RX 480, new APUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Jun 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is it safe to assume that the RX 480 is from GloFlo then? Wasn't there talk about TSMC doing 16nm Polaris and GloFlo doing 14nm Polaris.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2016
  3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if the rumnours are true - theres another core waiting - the X version

GTX 970 performance for GTX 750Ti money!

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Now it will be interesting to see nvidia's 1060 price and performance. And, of course, prices for the 970 are not too far away right now, are they? 269 Euros is the cheapest 970 I can find. Given the EU prices in recent years the 480 should come in around 200-220 Euros. This could get interesting. :thumb:

I will wait for whatever is next. My 980Ti will serve me a little bit longer, I guess.

5. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

Looks like a sweet spot for full-force 1080p gaming, and I definitely need an upgrade from my 1GB HD6950.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Just as it's annoying me, but shouldn't it be GloFo?

Back on topic, I have set the GTX1070 as my target for when I actually do finally build a new machine later this year (waiting for Kaby) but I will certainly be waiting as I am still interested to see what AMD can do and I also feel like I should wait the extra few months to see if they bring out a mini 1070.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

global floundaries :p

8. SchizoFrog

*Cough, cough* I think you mean Gobal Floundaries. :)

9. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Looking at the difference between Nvidia and AMD on previous gen where both used TSMC you can guess being forced to use GloFo has cost them something like a 25% lower clock or 25% higher power consumption. That probably equates to a $50 difference in what they can sell a card like this for, and probably is in mobile the difference between being vaguely competitive and not having a hope.

The fault really likes with the AMD cpu group who can't use their required wafer allocation which the dodgy deal they setup when they split of manufacturing into Glo Fo forces them to buy means the gpu group is forced onto Glo Fo whether they like it or not.

10. SchizoFrog

I am assuming that you are claiming that GloFo is inferior to TSMC and provides inferior products... If that is the case, would AMD not have a case to cease their contract for sub-standard products?
    Anyway, I'll still keep the same stance and will judge by the numbers when both are available.

11. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

Sounds interesting, but when I hear >5GFlops I think 'cool' but then when you think the HD7970 from 2012 had 4GFlops it suddenly doesn't seem so much.
    Not that GFlops is everything of course, there are quite a few new things added since 2012.

12. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Im still rocking a HD7970, havent seen no need to change cards as it still smashes all the games i chuck at it at 1080p, but if the price is right them this new RX 480 could be tempting. Some new AM1 processors would be nice