1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils Zacate APU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

in b4 crazyceo's pointless ramblings..

I do believe AMD is in for a good year, this seems to be a good product, will have to wait for a full review/etc before I make up my mind though.

Hmm wonder if it can play crysis?

3. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

hm... why does intel compare against their own products... and yet AMD tends to always compare against to the competition?
    anyway, will only believe anything untill some proper figures from a neutral party are put out there for the world to see, cuz this seriously has manipulation all over it...
    not to say that the core i5 isn't really that new

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Prepare for retaliations in 10... 9... 8...

Always good to know there's competition going on.

5. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Does anyone know clock speed of those integrated radeon cores? If they're using same manufacturing tech for entire APU it should be able to run at higher speed, right?

Anyway, intel has some funny years to expect - ARM is taking on low end portable market while AMD aims at high end.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I wonder if perhaps AMD has decided to let Intel have the top end and instead to compete in the lower and mid-range markets, plus their historic mainstay of servers. There are a lot more people interested in low and mid range parts, and the capabilities, and price, of the super high end are so far beyond what 99% of people need.

The ongoing excitement over the ARM vs x86 debate shows where a lot of the interest is these days. Perhaps low power consumption is the new "ZOMG look at my 3DMark score!!"

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

lower to mid range is the bread and butter market. Also Look at ARM in the server market too. Lots of small low power cores seems to be the best solution for a lot of server tasks. Opteron is handling intels offering top end while not matching it clock for clock, the extra core solution over HT cores is useful in a handful of cases. Isn't bulldozer is aimed at HPC rather than bobcat anyway?

8. HyBry

HyBry What's a Dremel?

I think they gave up on trying to get the de facto best CPU on market long time ago. But I must say they are doeing good at delivering competitive product at low prices.

I really hope this makes its way in nettops as I am planning to get one to connect my TV

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Why does the die look so weird?

10. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

The demonstrations were gpu-heavy apps, so this doesn't tell us anything about the CPU. Considering the CPU and GPU product lines of Intel and AMD, it would seem to be business as usual - AMD has the better GPUs and... dunno about it's CPUs but I'd bet money they'll be disappointing.

11. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

For several years now we've been whinging about how anaemic the Atom is for just about any task and the ancient, power hungry 945 chipset and the pathetic GMA950 graphics Intel bundles with it is inadequate.

These Bobcat-class CPUs GPUs APUs is exactly what we need for most tasks: a reasonable out-of-order CPU and capable graphics for HD video and games, all in a power efficient package.

I don't need the power of a full i5 in a laptop/netbook/nettop. So long as the CPU portion has the power of a 1.6-2.0GHz C2D or Turion X2 I'd be happy.

12. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

We already saw CPU specs on the CPU:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/07/30/amd-ontario-performance-numbers-leaked/1

Not quite twice as fast as Atom, a bit under 90% of a full fat X2 at the same speed, much lower power consumption.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That's actually a good question. It'd be a pretty nifty badge of honor for the chip!

Can't say I'd mind decent gaming performance on low power draw. Mobile graphics are just so lackluster, this could really help change that.

14. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Last edited: 14 Sep 2010
  15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Awesome I will be all over a 12" netbook/laptop that comes offering this to replace my really hot and so/so battery life ION. Cant wait ^_^

Tags: Add Tags