1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Any way to get 9VAC SB?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Urza9814, 29 Aug 2005.

1. Urza9814

Urza9814 What's a Dremel?

What's the easiest way to get 9VAC in my computer, and not lose power when my comp goes into stand-by? I don't really shut off my computer much, so if there's a way to just hold the power when I reset through a capacitor or something, that's fine. Also, a power inverter for a 9V battery would work too, though I'd rather not. I don't have much experience either, so, though I know I could possibly hook it into the 5VSB lead on my PSU, I'd really rather not...I'm not sure how safe that would be and, since so far all the electronic work I've done in my comp is held together with Elmer's glue and duct tape....yea....that wouldn't end well :p

2. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

What do you want to do with it?
    A transformer from the AC line is the simplest solution.

3. Urza9814

Well, I've got this clock...this old binary clock that no one's ever used, and I opened it up, and it's EXTREMEMLY thin...like, except for the power plug and one transformer, it's not much thicker than the board everything is wired to. So my immediate though was '...put it inside my comp'...and I'm thinking of re-wiring the buttons into the front of the case so it's easier to set...but I don't wanna have to reset it every time I have to reboot my comp...'cause it's extrememly hard to set (only 2 buttons...increase hour and increase minute)...Oh, and if you're wondering, I'm probably just gonna put it inside the window so I don't have to cut the case...I don't like doing irreversable mods...lol

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

If it takes AC, it probably has a bridge, so you can probably feed it DC, and it will work fine. Just use a LM-317 and set it to 9v, or use any other 9v regulator.

5. DanielArdelian

DanielArdelian What's a Dremel?

Not sure about feeding it DC instead of AC
    Theoretically, it shoud work, but the device might use the 50 or 60 Hz AC signal as a clock reference, so in this case, only a 9 VAC transformer will help you.

6. Urza9814

Well, after trying this thing with every transformer I've got, it seems the damn thing won't run on ANYTHING except 9VDC....