1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Are you getting fleeced by your mobile provider?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 20 Oct 2017.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

What hassle?
    You find what you want, you buy what you want, you make one phone call / text / web application and get your PAC, you tell your new provider your PAC, usually on line, job jobbed, end of.

Start to finish it takes less than 10 minutes, which is probably a whole 5 minutes longer than it takes to switch internet supplier

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, switching mobile phone contracts (whether from one provider to another or, even easier, changing contracts with the same provider) is a piece of cake. At the end of the day, though, it's your money and your choice: if 10 minutes of "hassle" in order to save yourself a decent amount of money is too much trouble then you can just keep overpaying... I know what I'd rather do.

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

If you see it as hassle you probably don't care about your overall expenses

For me,
    SIM only contract so I get the plan I want
    Buy the phone 2nd hand on a credit card and pay off quickly

I have a decent phone, a very good contract for a fraction of what the show offs in my office pay for their fancy S8 that they use for snapchat

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I pay £21 a month for unlimited Texts, Minutes and 20Gb of Data.

Im just fine thanks.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

The point is that it's completely unnecessary hassle, and very anti-consumer. The whole reason you have to switch in the first place is that companies bump up their prices for existing customers because they know a good handful of them wont switch. It's even more ridiculous when you realise they're all selling you the same thing, sometimes literally the same thing.

A condition of the contract could be that they get to slap me in the face once a year, it's definitely preferable to paying £20 extra a month, but I'd still question why they have to do it.

Plus I don't think I've ever had a phone call to a utility company that only lasted 10 minutes (plus this is ignoring the time spent shopping around and/or inadvertently signing yourself up for every mailing list on the planet).

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You may indeed only spend 10 minutes talking to someone... But you'll have spent nearly an hour on hold losing the will to live listening to whatever annoying hold music they've chosen to use...

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Never had a phone on contract in the 25yrs of having a mobile, I did have a pcmcia datacard from Voda business on contract but they never sold those direct at the time so had no choice, many people like to have the next shiny gadget and are happy upgrading every year or two, that's up to them, I just buy the phone out right and negotiate a deal I am happy with on the contract, hold on to the phone until it breaks or gets too slow.

8. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

£12 a month, 750 minutes, unlimited texts and 4 gig of data. I'm a happy chap with mine, whilst there is no contract in the traditional sense it still is a contract as the company does provide a service. Yes I'm with GiffGaff. The 4G here in Weston, Cornwall and around Bristol is actually pretty decent :)