News Assassin's Creed Rogue gets Tobii eye-tracking tech

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Feb 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

3. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I don't quite understand the point of eye tracking in a third person action title like Assassin's Creed, it doesn't seem to offer any benefit over turning your camera with either the mouse or analogue stick of your controller.
    Now if they offered an option to go into a first person mode and look around as your assassin character while you run and jump your way through a town, then I'd see some real worth to something like this.

Anyone able to shed any light on whether there's an actual benefit to eye tracking in something like Assassin's Creed?

4. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

From my perspective, I think the reason for this being third person rather than first is because the character is able to look in a different direction to the camera.

For first person shooters, you'd have to have the crosshair of the weapon track eyes independent of the camera (which would probably suck for accurate aiming) otherwise it would be really disorientating having the camera follow your eyes... imaging looking at the something in the top right of the screen and it suddenly no longer be in the top right because the camera is now panning up and right as soon as you look away from the centre...

Perhaps if it was head tracking for the camera, eye tracking for the crosshair, THAT might work?

5. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

:confused: I wasn't asking why it was third person, I fully understand why the AC games are in third person... I was asking for what the actual benefit of the eye tracking was over simply controlling the camera & targeting as normal with your input device.