1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Best IPS Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus27, 21 May 2013.

1. Nexus27

Nexus27 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

It's time for a new monitor and as spend most of my time working (desktop/web/email etc) I probably should go for an IPS screen. That said I also like to play FPS.

What's the best performing IPS screen for gaming?

Thanks

2. Nexus27

Nexus27 What's a Dremel?

Anyone? Thanks :)

3. suragh

suragh Derp

Please take a look at this very structured and detailed guide Goodbytes has made, and many others have contributed to.

Here

You might find it very useful. :thumb:

Having said that, I have used the guide and went for a pair of Dell U2412's and they are brilliant!

4. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I have U2412m and I use it for light photoshop and design work but mainly I game on my PC. I have yet to experience any problems.

I am not a hardcore player but I find it fantastic.

5. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

I have a Dell U3011 and it's awesome for games.
    It's hard to recommend a particular monitor without knowing the budget.
    What size and aspect are you looking for?

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

The korean IPS/PLS monitors are quite well suited for games. They have quite a lot less input lag because they don't have them image processor thingies or scalers or whatever it's called.

In terms of total input lag plus response time etc, the total delay from your input till you see the response on the screen is 15ms or so for the Korean monitors, and over 30 for regular monitors like U2412 etc.

It's pretty noticeable if you are serious about FPS and fast paced gaming. Plus if you get the right ones you can overclock them to 120Hz etc - it isn't the same speed and clarity as a 120Hz TN but it's better than any 60Hz IPS.

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Go for the Dell U2412M, great value @ circa £200 and a REAL resolution of 1920x1200 - you really notice the difference of the extra height with web pages/documents etc side by side.

For gaming it is great, check out the review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's hard to say what your best option is without having an idea of your budget, but I'd echo other comments about the Dell U2412M - 16:10 with 1200p is so much better than 16:9 at 1080p for productivity stuff. It's also great for gaming, too.

I moved to the U2412M from a TN panel and the difference is quite astonishing :)

9. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Having owned a 120hz for over a year I wooden go back to 60hz now.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends if your a hardcore fps gamer or not and have the system to actually use a 120hz monitor. And if your willing to sacrafice details to get those FPS numbers.

If all you do is play Starcraft and wow for example then a 120hz monitor is a waste of cash.

Personally use a dell u27 as that's as big as the space can be and it suits my needs fine. ( I'm no hardcore FPS player and don't really play alot of them online either cod or cs been the only 2)

11. Nexus27

Nexus27 What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone for the input. Much Appreciated!

12. Nexus27

Nexus27 What's a Dremel?

BTW: I play only FPS and 24" is the max I would want on the desk.
    Not too worried about budget - <£450 would be OK, if worthy enough.

13. Nexus27

Nexus27 What's a Dremel?

I wonder how long we're gonna have to wait until we can get a 120Hz IPS or similar?

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Probably never as last I checked IPS can not do 120Hz only 80 at a max. And going above 60Hz on a IPS monitor increases the amount of ghosting you can see on fast moving films ect.

15. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Is the 24" maximum due to lack of space?
    The extra resolution of something like the Dell UltraSharp U2713 would be well worth it. I went from 24" to 30" and would definitely say bigger is better (subject to quality of course).