1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Bit-Tech server?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MikeTitan, 25 Feb 2005.

1. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

I was just wondering what Kind of bandwidth and server bit runs on? I know it's not really feedback, But I kinda wanted to know so I could help a friend site. (Don't worry not gonna compete with Bit :D )

I don't need any specifics but like Server specs, and Bandwidth.

If anyone could help or just be able to give me an accurate Ball Park Figure that'd be cool.

:confused:

2. planki

planki ...

i think this has come up before but it wasnt discussed due to the nature of this information, and the use it could hold to other websites etc.

i may be wrong though!

3. MikeTitan

Hmm in that case. I was just wondering what a server would need as far as speed and allowed Bandwidth for about 150 Active Members.. There is 600ish members, but only like 150 active at once. Just something that would allow it to run stable.. So it won't crash or be down like what happens now =/.

4. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

My forum has 2500k members with 150 active members regulary (700-1000 posts daily) and it chomps up about 40gb a month which isnt much tbh. As for specs i cant help you as its running on a semi shared 2x 2.4Ghz Xeon :)

My guess is that bit is running off several machines :)

5. MikeTitan

Cool thanks. The site I think he is on now is pretty expensive to what he could be hosting, for a much better machine and bandwidth. I just wanted to know what would be good and stable then work from there.

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

It's not hard to find a shared server with 65GB/month transfer and a gig or 2 of storage for like $5-10 US a month.. Most places offer upgradeability if thats not enough

7. MikeTitan

What makes the most difference on a server? The bandwidth or the server stats themselves?

8. planki

planki ...

i would say it depends, if your not doing something incredibly cpu intensive such as serving up a bog standard html layout and you are getting huge amount of hits then bandwidth is important.

but on the other hand if you are serving up cpu intensive pages and get a reasonable amount of hits then a slightly mroe powerful machine would be needed with ample amount of bandwidth.

Tags: