1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building a £2k-ish "forward-looking" computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhoenixTank, 7 May 2010.

1. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

The 980 at £800 is definately not worth it. Future proof maybe but buy one for £150 in two years time; even better still get a the new socket and motherboard in a few years for the difference. On the other hand you can get the best but the depreciation on it is going to be huge!

IMO the 920/930 at ~200 is by far better.

I'm of the opinion at this budget it may be worth getting something with a warranty.

2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

No, it's just that everyone has fun speccing up a high value rig :).

3. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

No one was ignoring you :waah: you opened the floodgates! everything since then was a reaction to your spec (cant find a smiley for a hug, hopefully this will cheer u up :clap:lol)

4. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Wow, I didn't expect much of a response to this post, let alone anyone going to the effort of an entire cart build. Many thanks to everyone that has posted! Appreciate the info from the AMD advocates too - nice to at least see the other side of things, and what I could be getting.

So, this is the cart build I have...
    [​IMG]
    Similar to Bloody_Pete's build but with a few tweaks based on my own preferences and the advice others have given.

Over budget for the total, but under without VAT (I live in the Channel Islands).

A query about the RAM. Found a version similar to the one Bloody_Pete posted but with lower timings and the same voltage, for the same price. This should be a pro, not a con, right?

As far as my more major choices go, I am opting for the 980X. Sandy Bridge seems a way away yet. When it eventually gets here and depreciates the value of the 980X, I'm not going to be to swapping out the motherboard and CPU, even if I had a 930.
    To go with the 980X, the Asus Rampage 3 seems excessive, but I like it :D

I was worried when I saw a few people list a water cooler for the CPU. Very glad to see that it is not as I feared. No leaks, no maintenance, just performance for a decent price. Sounds perfect.
    Also chosen the Li Lian A70FB case. A bit nearer the dimensions of my current case compared to the CM, the Li Lian seems to reminds me of my current case with the tool-free design and fan locations, but a bit sleeker, and not so damn heavy :D

Already have Win 7 Pro, so no need to buy it again (and I'll be removing it from this current pc, no doubt).

Thanks again!
    P.S. Regarding pictures of the build... I don't think my phone camera will cut it. May need to buy a new camera too :D

Last edited: 10 May 2010
  5. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

Sorry to double post/bump but I've made a bit of progress on my own, and some comments would be awesome.
    [​IMG]

So, to go with the Corsair H-50, I've added two Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans, and a splitter to use them via the CPU Fan header.
    Added a fan controller that seems to suit the case & my needs.
    Dropped the RAM down to 6GB, as apparently 12GB will limit overclocking, and I probably won't need to use a full 12GB for a while.

Can't think of anything in particular that I'm unsure about, but if anyone has any warnings/thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!