Memory Corsair XMS3 or XMS3 Classic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KD88, 26 Jan 2011.

1. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

These are both available from Scan at the same price so other than stock voltage what will the difference be.

I am currently running G Skill 1333 at an overclocked speed of 1600 so will I be able to run the Corsair 1600 alongside the G Skill at the same frequency.

If so I guess I will have to go for the Classic as the voltages match.

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Can you post a link to your existing RAM as well as the Corsair RAM you are considering?

3. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, for the same price, classic says it is rated at 1.5v, lower than non-classic. i'd go with that.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The non-classic RAM has an XMP memory profile meaning that you simply set the XMP profile in the BIOS on modern motherboards - you don't have to set timings manually to get it to run at 1600. However, the voltage differs from your existing RAM.

I would think that mixing RAM of different voltages isn't really the best but I am not sure. I don't have any experience in mixing RAM of different voltages and speeds so I am not sure if it will work reliably and stably with one pair overclocked and one stock.

Is it an easier option to buy either 4 x 2GB or 2 x 4GB of the XMP profile RAM and sell your G Skill?

6. Cookeh

Cookeh What's a Dremel?

Mixing ram is never a good idea, but if you have to, then the classic is probs the best bet.

However, I'd go with what Fingers66 said and sell the G.Skill (you might make a profit with DDR3 prices going up) and buy a 2x4GB kit for around £80.

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

8. russell16688

russell16688 What's a Dremel?

The corsair xms3 with the xmp file (once i realised why it wasnt going to full speed) is incredibly quick and gives me a WEi score of 7.7......amazing for that price.
    Id easily reccomend it.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

you can mix and match as everything is the same speed,timings and voltages are the same

although more in depth timings could differ.

should be ok providing you use them in together in channels i.e. G.skill in Channel A and the corsair in channel B not corsair and a g.skill stick in channel A and same again in B.

it is best practice to use identical sets but i cant say ive had issue before with it. ive mixed some non-brand with corsair as my friend didint have a lot of money and i let him have some of my spare for nothing.

had no issues with it at all.

just make sure the timings, voltage and speed all match up.

10. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I just looked at Scan's web site also, and have decided they must use code words... such as Clearence ...code for **** no one else wants either .. Allegedly
    Today Only Offers .. Ops we over ordered items and have thought we best get shut quick before they become "clearance" items see above... Allegedly
    Hot Sellers .. We have looked at Bit-techs recomendations for the month ... Allegedly ...

11. Cookeh

Cookeh What's a Dremel?

I can see your fluent in ringrish, but can you say that again in English? Didn't make one iota of sense to me :eeek: