Rant Derailed!! Oh Noes!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Snafu-X-, 9 Jul 2008.

1. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

Like many of you, I typically have multiple mods going at once, in various stages. One in particular, I've been working on for well over a year, trying to find the best way to implement the concept I have in my head. Then tonight, I run across a new mod plan by a master modder in this forum. The moment I saw it, I thought "THATS exactly what I was trying to create!!", followed by "#&$*(@$#, he just KILLED my plan by making one 100 times #Q$*&$ better than mine! AAAAAAAUGH!!" This is not the first time it's ever happened to me, but this time, it completely derailed me. It might not be so bad if it were any old modder, but this guy executes at a level I can't even conceive of approaching. I'm sitting here considered tossing an idea I've had for years. Am I the only one this ever happens to?

In the same vein, do you ever see a small idea executed in a build and start yelling in your head "that was MY idea, I had that one two years ago, @#$*&!!"

Both of these things are happening to me far too often lately. Which means A: I have really good mod ideas. and B: I am a lazy sob who never actually completes my mods.

I mean, seriously, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

PS. Does this post accurately convey my frustration?

Last edited: 9 Jul 2008
  2. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

it was greensabbath, wasn't it...

I know the feeling. Or, looking at my mod and someone else's and realizing they just plain did it better. Hurts me just below the cockles, in the sub-cockle area..

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Make it anyway.

4. Snafu-X-

......my religious upbringing prevents me from naming names or using any other colorful words. ;0

To add insult to injury, I was perusing my old mod notes tonight, and found drawings from march 2002 for this idea. It's been kicking around in my head for six stinking years!!! I like the idea too much to abandon it all together, but now I feel like I have to start over, again. Hmm, now I'm wondering, do I get an award for longest mod planning ever?

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Keep going with it, you'll improve your skills.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I agree. Make it anyway. These guys only got to that level of quality because they didn't give up. Or they're naturally good at it. If it's the latter, they're *******s.

Btw: Is that an airsoft manual based avatar? Looks kinda like a CA manual 'user safety' section..

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Happens to me. Get used to it: great minds think alike. Just do it anyway, but better or different.

I find knock-offs of the Samurize config I did for the 5" LCD on my rig all over the internet (even on Custom PC, in an article like: "Hey, here is a cool idea: what if you used Samurize to display stuff on a 5" LCD modded in your PC?" No kidding? Who was the FIRST to come up with that idea again? :rolleyes: ). But those knock-offs do come up with original new twists, so it's all cool.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Sue the *******s for copyright theft. They have invaded your dreams and stolen your imagination, it's just not on. :nono:

9. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

FINISH the damn project mate ;)

10. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Read this. Get over it. Finish the mod. Make it your own.

11. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

you are certainly not alone, as this has happened to me also as of today. :)

12. Snafu-X-

Not sure if it's airsoft, it was some sort of toy gun manual I found online years ago. Given my handle, it seemed perfect at the time. Still does I think.

Naturally, my clanmate had to take another of the pics I found and execute it better than I....

[​IMG]

Tags: