1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do DDC pumps run too hot for comfort?

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Neogumbercules, 28 Jun 2014.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I was thinking about picking this unit up for my WC setup but I started reading up on DDC pumps and learned that they apparently run quite hot. Sometimes in the range of 90-100c. I like certain aspects of this unit but I'm concerned that the excessive heat produced by the DDC pump is going to cause problems with longevity.

Is there anything to be concerned about?

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Although DDC pumps run hot they only tend to get really hot in low restriction loops in which case a D5 would normally be better. However the pump you linked to is PWM so if you use it at slower speeds under low heat loads it'll run cooler and quieter. Additionally you can get heatsinks for the pump which also help with the heat and should fit even with it mounted in the Bay Res. Being mounted in a Bay Res though means you will get resonance at all speeds unless you can isolate it from the case.

I've been running a pair of 35X which are also PWM since 2011 with no problems but they do have the Swiftech heatsinks fitted and also benefit from airflow. I have had one 35X failure but that was likely to have been either water damage or an inherent fault from new as it packed in within a couple of weeks from purchase.

3. Neogumbercules

Thanks Big Elf. I plan on putting it in a corsair 250D so the heatsink won't be possible. I've read that it's typically unwise to run a pump in pwm due to not being able to cool effectively at idle. Is that still a concern? I modeled my build in a thread in the modding section so I know the ek x-res 100 and 140 tube/pump/res combo will fit if needed but having the bay res would make life a lot easier and allow for a second rad in the front.

I plan on a 240 rad, a 120/40 rad, an ek fc r290 gpu block and an ek supremacy cpu block using 1/2x3/4 tubing. Would that be considered high restriction in the wc world? . I'll have short runs and some angle fittings as well.

4. Big Elf

Can you give me a link to that comment about not running the pump in PWM? I don't understand it.

If you run it at a slower speed the electronics will be cooler as there's less voltage running through it.

The EK Heatsink looks as though it replaces the stock base of the pump so should fit. It would benefit from additional airflow though.

That would be a low restriction loop although the Supremacy block appears to have more restriction than many current blocks based on my limited tests.

5. Neogumbercules

I don't have any specific links about the pwm issue, it's just something I've seen repeated over the years in regards to watercooling, but as you stated, it doesn't make a lot of sense as parts will operate far cooler at idle. I think my cpu operates at 700mhz when idle and the videocard goes down to practically nothing.

Air flow on the heatsink would be impossible as it will literally sit almost flush with the top panel of the case. I think the pwm pump may be the inly choice though if I want 2 rads.

6. Big Elf

A D5 would also be fine. Rads generally have less restriction than other components. I prefer PWM pumps myself so if I didn't have DDCs with PWM would have D5s with it.

7. Neogumbercules

The EK X-Res Top 100/140 has a D5 vario with a speed switch on it. I'll have to do some more modeling to be sure the tube res and pump + pump top combo will fit with a rad up front.