1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics DVI/VGA Driver board

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Macaba, 20 Jun 2007.

1. Macaba

Macaba What's a Dremel?

I like interfacing monitors to projects, usually this means having an USB/RS232 connection to a PC, and writing code in .Net to display things on the screen.

But secretly, my desires would be to have a board where you can plug DVI/VGA in and send serial commands to display letters and graphics. So the board would take care of refreshing the screen at >60hz, and the relatively slow serial interface would just mean you can't change the on-screen graphics quickly.

I found this IC:

http://www.chrontel.com/products/7301.htm

The CH7301C is a display controller device which accepts a digital graphics input signal, and encodes and transmits data through a DVI or DFP (Digital flat panel). The device accepts data over one 12-bit wide variable voltage data port which supports four different RGB data formats.

I would love to match one of these upto an FPGA and make a nice board. Unfortunately... just take a look at the IC package, 64 pin surface mount chip thats no larger than your fingernail.

I was just wondering, does anyone know of a board with this chip on with all the features accessable?

Ideally, someone would have the resources to make a demo board with an FPGA on, but I can only dream!

Macaba

P.S. Does anyone know what the specifications of the interface laptop TFT panels use? It could probably be put on my dream interface board.

2. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I wouldn't have thought it'd be too hard to find some of the old teletype ICs at surplus stores etc.