1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming F1 2011 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 10 Oct 2011.

1. Catflavor

Catflavor What's a Dremel?

Well, colour me ashamed of my n00b error...! It was something which crossed my mind a week or two ago, but I dismissed on the basis that everything else *seems* to run fine, and I assumed (without checking, bad move!) that both my PCI-e x16 slots run at x16. They don't. One runs at x4. My graphics card was in the slow one.
    I usually have 5 hard disks plus an e-SATA connector plugged into the mobo and the connectors face upwards (not at 90° as you see on new boards), so I can only use four of six SATA connectors when the graphics card is in the x16 slot. I've pulled out 2 disks and now I have doubled framerates in F1 2011. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem to have improved Rift by more than about 5-10 FPS and other games not as dramatically as F1. But a huge improvement in F1 2011. Phew!
    I still get stuttering (replay file issue), but not as badly as before. I think its now more a case of 'I know what I am looking for' than it being a major problem.
    I'm hugely relieved (and a little bit ashamed that it didn't click sooner). I'm much less peeved with Codies now, although still a bit grumpy that the save-game gremlins and stuttering from 2010 still exist in 2011.

Tags: Add Tags