1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Hack a Tour MP3 Player

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thordiddy, 16 Aug 2004.

1. thordiddy

thordiddy What's a Dremel?

Last week I went on vacation and visited Buckingham Palace. I took the audio tour and when it was over, I accidentally forgot to give back the audio device that I was given. So this morning I cracked it open only to find a 256 MB PNY Compact Flash card. I then read about the device, and they are in fact just MP3 Players :rock:

So my goal is to make this thing play my own MP3's. Here is a link to the product page. http://www.antennaaudio.com/xp.shtml

The first thing that I have to do is to get the thing to recharge, because my battery is dead. Then, I will try to replace the audio on the compact card with my own. I am not good at electronics at all, so I need help getting this thing to charge. I can't find any information online about what voltage this thing takes, so I was wonderin if any of you guys did.

thanks

2. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

"accidentally" yeah yeah

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

First off, get a reader and have a look at what is on the card. If it is just numerically named files in a folder, you could probably hack it. Maybe a VB program to rename a selected group of files in numerical order, and make a list of what the files are for you could make it easy.

What kind of batteries are in it? Is it something like a 2AA cell shrink-wrapped pack or a custom cell, or something else?

4. Renko

Renko What's a Dremel?

oh dear... guess how many of those are going to go missing now.

5. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

"I'll be back in a couple days, going to see the Queen for an MP3 player!"

6. MiniG

MiniG What's a Dremel?

Whats the chances of getting a picture of the battery? that way we might be able to tell you waht kinda charger you need. As previously mentioned, have a look on the card see what files are there and let us know.

MiniG

7. thordiddy

Okay, I read the card and it has a bunch of MP3s and stuff. Seems pretty easy to change, but it will all be for nothing if I cant figure out how to charge the battery. The battery is green and has 2 separate sections. On the battery it says "3/VH1350 f9 3.6V 1350mAh 064". Also, it is labeled as a Microbattery GmbH. So if anyone knows how I could make the battery charge, I would appreciate it.

Sorry about the delay, I have been workin on my XBOX for the last couple days.

8. Risky

Risky Modder

Was that from your tour of the White House or the Kremlin :D

9. thordiddy

It was the buckingham palace tour that they only give for 2 months each year.

10. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

He meant the XBOX :hehe:

As for the batery pack you can use any 3.6V battery pack with it. less mAh less play time, more mAh more play time. For charging, you can try replacing the batteries with AA's and use some NiMH batteries that you pull out and charce seperately.Or you can get a adjustable linear regulator, you could trickle chage it with a 3.8V supply. Since memory based players dont suck that much power, that may be workable. Use it during the day, charge it at night. There might even be charging circuitry built into the player. Get us a couple detailed shots of the PCB.

11. Geqxon

Geqxon What's a Dremel?

Why dont you go back and ask for a charger too :D :D

12. thordiddy

Okay, I found a 3.7 VDC 0.35 mA charger lying around and went balls out and started charging it. A red LED started blinking so at the moment I am just going to let it be and see what happens in a few hours. :hip:

13. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

0.35mA?!?
    It would take a very long time to charge (that is, unless you meant 0.35A).

14. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Most Nokia phone chargers are about right to charge 3.6v NimH batteries.