1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Tattysnuc, 19 Mar 2012.

1. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Hi,

Due to the current economic climate... and my own inability to manage my finances :) I've recently had to break down two of my folding rigs - the idea was to consolidate them.

I removed the CPU from my P8Z68 board and the P8P67 board from another build and they've now sold. In my haste and frustration to remove the waterblock from my Z68 board I've managed to break the swiftech rear mounted CPU plate - requiring me to have to cut the assembly in order to free the CPU. In doing so, I believe that I've damaged some of the tracks on the rear of the motherboard - either way I now seem to have a dead motherboard, and no way to test whether or not I still have a good CPU.

What I'm after good folks is some help in testing my kit so I can replace that which is broken, and get it back up and folding. I've dropped from 100k ppd to about 20k while this predicament is so.

Can anyone suggest how I can test the motherboard and/or CPU (2600K) so that I can direct my purchases accordingly, with minimum outlay - I'm flat broke, so this really is the last straw for me. I certainly can't afford to buy another board, to then have to return it because I've killed the CPU by putting it in a duff board.

I've powered up the board, and the board goes through the power cycle but does not give any bios beeps, or VGA output. I'm thinking it's the board, so the CPU is what I need to test.

I've asked at work if we have an Socket 1155 boards for me to test on, but there's no appropriate boards for me to use.

Can anyone help me?

FYI I live in Liverpool if any wood be helpers live locally...

Many thanks in advance

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I'm up in the North West, but unfortunately I don't possess any skt 1155 boards (skt 775, 1366 and 2011 yes, but no 1155!). Sorry bud.

Tattysnuc likes this.
  3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I'm down in Northampton, but if you want/need to ship it out for testing I'd be happy to help you. I currently have socket 1155, 2011 and FM1 systems (and the 1155 is currently without processor, so could be set up immediately).

Tattysnuc likes this.
  4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Im happy to test the cpu for you if you want? I could set up a 1155 test bed

Tattysnuc likes this.
  5. Tattysnuc

You're all VERY kind. +rep to everyone who's responded.

Debs, you were first, and are without a CPU and folding, so would you mind testing for me please?

Have you got a suitable heatsink or do I need to ship the retail packaged set? I've tested the RAM in a second board (X58) and that works, so there's not a a lot it can be by my reckoning - it's the board, the CPU or both...

Debs - can you let me know how would be best to proceed....

Many thanks in advance to all of you. There's a tremendous community here, and I feel priviledged to part of it.

Many thanks

Tattysnuc

6. debs3759

I have everything necessary to test it, can test under water or air. You only need to ship the CPU.

I'll PM my address.

7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Let me know if I can help out at all

8. Tattysnuc

Just spotted that you updated this. Ignore my question about the HSF.

:)

Thanks a million... Will stick it in the post for you tomorrow, not Wednesday.

9. Tattysnuc

This what I'm posting to you tomorrow. Fingers crossed....

[​IMG]

Thanks a million

10. Tattysnuc

Just an update for everyone else - board is definitely dead, as is the CPU. Memory was ok.

Debs tested the CPU and posted it back to me, and suggested that I get in touch with Intel - +rep given to debs many times over - Intel authorized the warranty return and pending a check to make sure that I didn't b@gger it up, will be posting me out a replacement.

I'm calling it a day with Sandybridge and going back to a Nehelem setup - I found my favorite board on ebay for £90 and have just finished re-building my RIIE rig. I'm at stock at the moment and still installing the drivers etc, but delighted with the rig - If anyone's interested I can post up some piccys when all's done?

When I get the replacement CPU I'll be selling that on the get a second CPU, for a second X58 rig (P6T) which is sitting around missing a CPU. Then..... Back on to the folding, and a bit of overclocking fun :)

Thanks to everyone who offered to help. I'd be stuck without you.

I knew there was a reason that I chose Bit-tech. Thank you for allowing me to be part of this wonderful community.

11. debs3759

I'm always happy to help others when I am able. Really glad for you that Intel are replacing it. I may even make an offer on the replacement in a few weeks, if you haven't already received and sold it by then (I'll be able to afford it in about a month, same time that I buy a 3770K).