1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Home Cinema / Decks Audio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lemmingzappa, 18 Oct 2010.

1. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

We're moving into a new place soon and this is what I had in mind for a setup:

[​IMG]

I need a recommendation on what speakers would be ideal. I'm not too fussed about surround sound so I think i'm looking for a decent 2.1 system.
    It will be used for watching films in 1080p, mixing on the decks and as a hi-fi. So the speakers need to be of high quality and produce a great sound.

According to the media box I had in mind, the audio outputs it has are:

Composite Audio
    SPDIF coaxial (digital audio)
    SPDIF Optical TOSLink (digital audio)

The connection between the decks/mixer and the speakers won't be permanent so I can unplug the media box cables and replace them with the mixer cables if needs be.

If you can recommend me any systems that would be great, I don't mind if it's active or passive....whichever gives the best sound for the usage. Or if you think surround sound would be much better then I'm open to that too.

2. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Well personally, i wouldn't be using a media box to power a decent 2:1 system and decks, and for that matter, you wont be powering any proper speakers with a media box, your gonna need an amp.

Or is the media box your referring to an amp? If so what make/model?
    If not, what's your budget, what do you want out of an amp sound wise and what kinda music do you play/mix? :)

Oh, and what's your budget for your speakers/sub?

3. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

Ah noo, the media box wont be powering anything, it's just there to send the audio signal.

Amp wise im looking for something which can handle loud volumes without distortion as I mix drum and bass, but it needs to be clear and crisp for films.

As for speakers/sub I was thinking around 300 - 400 quid.

Cheers.

4. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Ah ok, didn't think you would be but best to mention it :)

Whatever you choose, i really would advise listening to them before you buy, places like richer sounds will let you demo any setup you like and will even let you take in your own audio so you know it sounds good for what you want it for :)

As to the 5:1, you can always buy your 2 front speakers and as long as you get an amp that is capable of 5:1 you can always buy your other speakers later.

My personal preference on amps is cambridge audio, you can pick up a 550A/740A for £300 or an AM10 for £180, they offer superior sound imo and are crisp and clear, they usually have a warm sound which is what i like but as i said, your best off demoing them to see if its to your liking, even the older CA amps are good and you can pick them up on ebay for a reasonable price, obviously you wont be able to demo them tho.

Your front speakers want to be floor standing imo, my favourite are monitor audio but to get the BR5's and a matching sub would be a few hundred more than your budget, but mission is just as good, both have good bass, like you i love d&b so i know both sound good playing it. CA now do speakers, i cant comment on how they sound but you could pick up a set of their speakers and sub for around £350 but you can only buy them from RicherSounds.
    SuperFi also have an offer on for a 5:1 Mission set bar sub for £370.

I think ive covered everything there but if ive missed anything feel free to ask as at the moment ive got 2 kids fighting over lego blocks lol

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

For that budget and for those needs I'd get a pair of active Behringer B2030A Truths. For added bass response there's also a bigger B2031A version, but the B2030A sounds better at mid-high frequencies. The idea I had here was that I'd buy the pair and after that see if I really need a sub to go with the speakers... Those Behringers cost £210/250 a pair and can be compared to Genelecs twice the price, which should be good for music makers.

Also you aren't going to get a worthwhile surround set for that price, so just forget about it. It might give the effect in movies, but for music and stereo sounds it would be piss.