Build Advice i7 4770R or 4770S +GPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Teknokid, 3 Jun 2013.

1. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Title pretty much sums it up.

Im looking at building a rig in a streacom HTPC chassis, which I will use for mainly 3d modelling work. However, it would be nice to be able to game.

The major problem is that the chassis' PSU is only 150w, so if I went for the 4770S, I could only go for a 7750 or similar (and even that might be too much).

Basically, my question is, will the Iris GPU be good enough for casual gaming at 1920*1080, or should I research more heavily into squeezing a 7750 or similar in there?

Thanks

2. Psyance

Psyance What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately iirc the 4770R is BGA and available to OEM's only, as such will need to be soldered to the motherboard and not available to retail.
    If you are not going to be overclocking then just get the 4770 and a GPU.
    As to iris, we will have to wait and see if intel produce a retail LGA chip with it.

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Yeesh. I'd be worried about a 150W PSU, you will be operating close to the max even with a mainboard-powered GPU. Iris GPUs are very dependent on the drivers (like all GPUs), and Intel has a long way to catch up with AMD and nVidia; I'd go discrete graphics card.

4. Uxon

Uxon Minimodder

I'd squeeze a card in there, maybe look 2nd hand to save some money?

5. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Hmm.. Looks like Ill go discreet, will have to find a way to get more power into the system (hopefully they bring out a more powerful Pico-PSU.

Thanks for the advice, had no idea the Iris GPU Haswells were BGA only :(