1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Incremental backup of online server?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Pha3dr0n, 22 Nov 2009.

1. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

Been a while since I posted here:eyebrow:

Anyway, I've been helping a friend with a web site/forum recently, and want to be able to schedule incremental backups of the server files every night, so they backup onto one of my local rigs. The server is online, as in I dont have physical access to it, so would have to be ftp based.

The rig that it will be getting backed up onto is running Win XP.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Pha3dr0n

2. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

are you renting a dedicated server or are you renting hosting space with a provider? if it is linux you could run a cronjob and script it so it rar's all the web folder to a specific location and renames it to the current date. Then, i would use an ftp programme on the local machine to mirror the directory where the RAR file is and schedule it to run each night.

as well as this database backup would be done the same, run a script that tells mysql to backup all databases to sql files and copy them to a designated folder.

if you have rent from a company, i'd ask them directly how this could be done.

3. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

Thanks for the reply. The server is rented hosting space. To be honest, I was hoping for a piece of software that I could set up on one of my pc's that could ftp into the server root at a scheduled time, compare files with a local directory, and perform an incremental backup based on the comparison.

Cheers,

Pha3dr0n