1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop short circuit with USB and wont boot

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Zero_UK, 4 May 2012.

1. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Hi

My in laws have a laptop which has a damaged usb port. When someone plugs something in to that one port the notebook shuts down completely and will not boot (the whole port gets pushed back a bit). This happened once before and they managed to fix it although he cannot remember how - o

I am guessing that there is a faulty connector or lose cable that when someone plugged in the device it has moved the connector (probably only by a few mm) and it is touching something else that is short circuiting it.

I am going to open it up and take a look although open for advice. Thanks

2. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

The port had simply been bent down with poor treatment over the years. The gold pins on the port had come off the connector and the inside of the port could just flap up and down. Just pushed it back into place and got it to stand up so it no longer short circuited and it is back to how it was - tired and in need of retirement.

Last edited: 4 May 2012
  3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

what i do, is get some heatshrink, and stick it over the pins, then seal the socket so it cant short or be used