1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LCDs cause greenhouse gas worries

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Sorry, but I really don't see where these greenies are going here.

The world's climate changing? Well, I never would have seen THAT coming. The worlds climate changing and drowning London? I could live with that. I could also live with the warmer summers. Not that we've had any yet.

3. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

eh? what? I wasn't paying attention to the article, too busy burning plastic and polystyrene to care.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

i'm no scientist, but i think it's a case of gradually reaching two ends of the extreme and having less in the middle, ie, more freakishly hot or cold or rainy weather and less "normal" weather (or in our case in england perpetual rain)

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

oh, and world food farms are taking hits, like rice paddy fields in asia

6. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

The green lobby will always find something new to moan about, and I think we are getting to a point where people are starting to get fed up with them.
    However if it is as bad as they say, then it should be changed, just don't expect it soon.

7. Orlix

Orlix What's a Dremel?

Hmm... the whole emissions from Austria? How bad are they? I believe they are pretty environmentally minded and also... err... small. I am not sure then what that means. Probably the worldwise emissions of eating beans is higher than many countries yet I do not see a ban on beans. :)

8. -logical-Chimp

-logical-Chimp What's a Dremel?

Hmmm

As I understand it, Oz has quite a high level of emissions - cos of all the sheep / cows / other farting wildlife. Farm stock put out a serious amount of gas... ;)

9. C0nKer

C0nKer What's a Dremel?

Should we sing "Final Countdown" in December 2012?

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

umm...that's Oz is Australia, Austria is Europe....but agreed. cows apparently produce 25% of the worlds CO2 emmission.

11. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Austria.

Small country, near germany, fairly hilly.

Original place of birth of one mustachioed megalomaniac who caused a bit of a tiz in the 30's and 40's.

12. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Scientists say a lot of things, but I don't think this is a the top of out races 'worry list'. I care about the environment, but why cant the government put **** into place, since they want to control everything else about our existence, why not this.

13. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Er...article refers to Austria, not Australia!

Whole emissions from Austria probably isn't that much - their population is only 8.3m, so it's hardly like we're talking about the carbon emissions of China or something.

Also, I don't really understand what its use is in making LCD panels, but if it is consumed in their manufacture, then surely it is turned into something else, not released into the atmosphere? It's not like CO2, which is a waste gas. If it isn't consumed (i.e. if it is a catalyst or something) then it should be able to be recaptured and recycled.

Anyway, the solution to global warming is staring us in the face but no politician will touch it with a barge pole - nuclear power. It creates zero emissions at the point of generation. That would vastly reduce the output of CO2, which would have a far greater effect on total greenhouse emissions than forcing LCD manufacturers to find an expensive alternative to NF3.

14. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I thought that was methane?

15. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Christ, what *doesn't* contribute to global warming these days? I'm sure my dirty thoughts have opened up a new hole in the ozone layer above the head of some child in Peru who will now get skin cancer.

All because I can't stop thinking about amputee dwarf pr0n..

16. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

As far as nitrogen trifluoride goes, I'd imagine that it's a sealed process and that the gas gets recycled? I can't imagine that they just release the gas into the atmosphere?

17. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

My grandpa told me that in the 50t's (corrected: must be 60t's) the north sea was frozen, waves standing up as ice figures. Extreme colds etc. He also told me that from 1930 till 1965+ every household uses charcoal for warming and stuff and that in winter time the sky would turn black and everything else in the street was black from the charcoal dust and cars where putting out walls of exhaust smoke into the streets. All Factory's where running on charcoal and putting out all kind of chemicals into the air. Toilet waste and other water waste where dropped into the rivers. Noise was everywhere and household waste, chemicals etc was dumped on land or sea and nobody compliant about it, because they did not know better either.

In 2008, we use heating on gas that is filtered out, we have very very clean cars compared to the 50's cars. Factory's filtering exhausts. All water waste is filtered and then returns or goes into the river. Waste is recycled and reused. Now I can eat from the street and swim in the rivers and lakes. The air is 500% cleaner then it ever was before.

So what was the problem again?

Last edited: 4 Jul 2008
  18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Was he drunk at the time, by any chance?

19. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

No he was not:
    http://www.meteolink.nl/nieuw/weerhistorie/winter1963.htm

It was the coldest time of the 19't century: Just google on: winter 63

Last edited: 4 Jul 2008
  20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It was more the "waves standing up as ice figures" that I was curious about. Unless I'm being special again - I just can't work out how the sea would freeze fast enough to maintain the waves as ice sculptures. The photos on the site you linked are rather vague, and unfortunately I'm unable to read the text. Nor can I find anything in English that refers to frozen waves on a sea, apart from a retrospective BBC article written by someone who was three months old at the time which states that "Just over the border in Lyme Regis the sea had started to freeze, and further east in Eastbourne the sea actually froze over for several days" and also talks about "pack ice on large estuaries such as the Severn, and the Exe."

I'd love to see a picture of frozen waves. I can imagine that'd look awesome.

Tags: Add Tags