1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice m-itx build - GFX and PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jopers1986, 24 Mar 2014.

1. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

Hi All,

Finally pulling my finger out and going to build my new PC. Below is what i have so far, but struggling with the PSU and GFX card.

I'm not going to be doing much hard gaming to start, but want to be able to play some of the newer games (BF4, Titanfall etc.) and not overly fussed about max FPS or max settings. I do however want to get back into a little overclocking.

So the build:

CPU - i5 4670k
    Mobo - MSI z87i Gaming AC
    Cooler - h100i (£70 refurbed on scan... bargin)
    Memory - 2x4gb corsair vengeance 1600
    SSD - Samsung 840 evo 120gb
    HDD - 1tb 7400rpm whatever brand
    Case - Corsair 250d

So i guess the PSU will depend on the choice of GFX... i only wanted to spend a max of £150 on it, so was thinking 7850 or a 270...?

Any advice as always is greatly appreciated :clap:

Love and hugs!

Rich

2. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

Ahh booo, just seen this thread - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=268355

Is the Impact VI more future proof or is it just a better board? worth an extra £40?

Could go for a H80i instead of the H100i... don't like how close it gets to the child board...

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

The H80 does apparently get close the sisterboard but most people don't have any problems. The H80 would be pretty good here i'd say.

5. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

H80 would get as close as the H100 i guess... was thinking about putting it under the drive bay, but would it fit with the Tubes?

Also.... not so much a fan of the ribbed tubes.........:worried:

Whats the general consensus on Corsair PSUs? seen some fairly damning comments on here.

6. AlienwareAndy

Corsair power supplies are good. They used to be fantastic but it seems recently they have stepped off the quality a little bit. Mind you, I've had no issues with the RM750 I use.

I've always thought that Enermax were the best and still do really, but if you want the top end models you better prepare to pay for them. Some of them are hideously expensive..

EVGA are now coming through with some nice power supplies. They look nice too.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The Corsair CX first revisions were horrid from what I recall. They rectified most issues with a revision of the units. They seem to be much better.

I've no problems with the RM 750w that I use either. It's a lovely PSU actually. I'd highly recommend the RM series from Corsair.

Oh, and for what it's worth, a R9 270 is a HD 7850, the R9 270X is a between a 7870 and 7930 as it were and the R9 280X is a 7970.

8. AlienwareAndy

The issue with the rev 1 CX PSUs was that Corsair thought they could release a totally crap product and because it had their name on it it would sell and people would not realise it was crap.

It backfired. They even lied about it being 80+ and had to relinquish the logo and label.

I mean seriously, they were a £10 power supply with a Corsair badge on. The rev 2 was Corsair realising they could not get away with it IMO.

9. TheMadDutchDude

I had no idea they were that bad. Glad I never purchased one! I've got a 430w I believe downstairs that is Rev 2 but it only powers a non clocked 3570K, an SSD and two HDDs. It's not exactly taxing.

That sounds like an OCZ scandal to me. :D

10. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

11. TheMadDutchDude

They're both as future proof as one another, as they are on the same socket. :)

I read that the lower end EVGA PSU's aren't fantastic. There's a reason they're cheap.

12. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

haha yes that is a very good point :worried: been a long day.

I guess you get what you pay for then... budget builds are apparently (drum roll please) budget builds!!!! :D

Right, yet again i'm going to hold on and see what Intel are playing at... THE WORK LAPTOP REMAINS!

13. TheMadDutchDude

I guess you mean Z97 and such by waiting to see what Intel are playing at? :)

You may as well. It's due very soon. Gives you a bit more time to save funds up too. :D

14. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

ahh yes, Z97 and see what Intel do with it.... only problem with saving up funds is that it ends going on the beer, not the build!

15. AlienwareAndy

TBH mate I see absolutely no reason at all to buy the Impact. That board is very expensive and for very high end builds which this ain't.

THE most important part of any build is the graphics card. Even a crap CPU like an I3 can hold a good min FPS in any game, the rest is down to the GPU.

As such you want to be budgeting as best you can. The EVGA 600w PSU is more than good enough for you. Yeah, it ain't no Enermax Platimax but it will work and it's not going to blow up on you.

The 4670k is a wickedly fast CPU. Again, more than good enough for your needs. As is the MSI board you have lined up. If you were going with an I7 or 8-12 cored Xeon (which the Impact may well support) then I would say go for it. But you're not, so the MSI is a perfect match for the 4670k.

I know you said you didn't like the tubes on the H80 but again, budget. You need to be putting every single last penny you can scrimp aside for the GPU, man. So, save and get at least a 780 or 290. I tend to avoid recommending the 280x because it's nothing but a recycled 7970, same with the 770.

Thing is, with the right decisions and some smart buying you can do it too.

16. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

Cheers Andy, some great advice! but at least a 780 or a 290? That's double what i was going to spend.

Think what i'll end up doing is building it without GFX at first as i neeed a PC now, and save up for a decent one, maybe even a birthday present. i did count up the copper jar tonight, £42 squids in the kitty!

i could always cover up the ribbed tubes i guess? how are the fans on the H80? worth replacing with something a bit quieter?