1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft doubles Windows 7, Vista lifespan

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Feb 2012.

1. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Win7 is the new XP for most ppl... it just does it all ...with the minimum of fuss.... so no need to change.

Win8 will fail, if it fails that is, due to the fact that it is a tablet/phone touch interface first and a desktop second.

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Truth. I was helping neighbour install a bunch of basic software on a 2005 Mac she'd bought second hand, running OS X Leopard.

Silly me presumed that, like a PC, basically all software would work as long as the hardware had enough grunt. How wrong was I? It was a bloody nightmare to work with. Seriously unimpressed with Apple.

3. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Are we 100% sure that it is really a touch interface first, desktop second? I assumed it was pretty capable of satisfying both.

I agree about the new XP thing though. I'm on win7 now and I love it. I would upgrade for a small price but then again, upgrading is hassle, having to backup all my stuff etc.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Good stuff. I had no intentions of using W8 anyway.

5. tigertop1

tigertop1 What's a Dremel?

Have been using W8 dev version for about 3 months on a spare PC. Nothing I have seen so far would convince me it is more desirable than W7--or even Vista at a push. The beta version may be slicker but W8 is not intuitive to use and W7 is totally simple and easy to get on with no matter whether you have come from Vista, XP or whatever.

I am sure MS will push it for all they are worth but i think it may well land in the same ordure as Vista has done

6. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

The best offers will be at launch, I missed out on Win 7 for 40 quid and am not making the same mistake with Windows 8 if there's a similar deal. If I don't think I'm going to use it then I can just flog it.

Every version of Windows I can remember had an option to make it look like the one before, so if they drop that from Win8, that's commercial suicide.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Unless it's cheap, I have no use (touchscreen) for Win8

8. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

How the h*ll did you get W7 some eight years ahead of everyone else?

9. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

sigh. i just hope windows 8 will be good. i already switched to mac for laptops because i had it with PCs for laptops.

10. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Seeing as how Windows 7 rocks my socks, this is awesome news. I wouldn't mind a few more years with Windows 7. YEARS!

11. IXON

IXON What's a Dremel?

I intend on sticking with Windows 7 for a few more years yet.
    Honestly I can see Windows 8 being next Vista & Millenium, it maybe great for tablets, but for Desktop PC's & Laptops just can't see this touch screen tile rubbish working out.

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

It seems like every other MS OS is a flop

13. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Probably the stupidest conspiracy theory I have ever heard. Microsoft is built on the back of the office desktop PC, our very civilisation is supported by desktops. They have no desire to 'kill off' the desktop.

14. Janek566

Janek566 What's a Dremel?

Who gives a sh*t? It's still the worst operating system to ever hit everyday consumers in the face. I'm ashamed to be forced to use it whenever I want to play a game. At least that happens less often now.

15. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

The only thing that annoys me is that rather than upgrading our OS's they just keep releasing new ones. I don't mind big jumps too much like 2k to XP, and XP to Vista etc.. But rather than 'fixing' vista, they basically repackaged it as Win7 and ripped everyone off in the process. I love win7 but I don't think anyone could convince me that Vista couldn't have just been changed in to Win7 with patches.

So now I'm on Win7 and all is good, but again they are pushing out yet another one, and again, say what you want about a slight improvement to DirectX and whatnot, but still I don't think anyone could convince me that they couldn't have just developed patches and updates for Win7 to turn it in to whatever Win8 is.

I know they are in business to make money but there's a line between providing decent value for money and just shafting people, and I think they are gleefully crossing that line. At least they aren't forcing anyone to upgrade from 7 to 8, yet.... but it still bugs me that after spending the £200 or whatever, I don't get any real content updates, only security updates. They are just doing the EA model, Fifa Windows 2011, and Fifa Windows 2012, etc.

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

lol, the anti-Microsoft brigade are out in full force. What's up? been a while since we've seen you all moan about Microsoft. Looks like Windows7 kinda left it's boot marks on your backside :)

17. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Its like everyones read about or tried the Metro UI and decided thats Win8 in a nutshell. It cant evolve, it cant implement other features, its 100% tablet orientated and couldnt possibly have anything to offer desktop/laptop users because of the introduction of Metro for a touch/tablet friendly usability that the standard OS lacks. Good to see people arent so narrow-minded ey.
    They announce they're extending support for older OSs (Incl XP!) and still people find a way to spin it as a negative, they know W8 will fail on release, everyone abandon the ship MS will be freely supporting for 5yr longer than they promised when you bought/*acquired* it.
    Truly end of the world stuff.

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Pleased in a way I guess, since everything I've seen about W8 has put me off more and more :p

I'd still be using XP if it wasn't for TRIM, W7 isn't bad though.

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

simple solution to metro UI, have the option to turn it off......genius! Hands up who skined windows xp back to the square greyness like 95/98 had?

20. campdude

campdude What's a Dremel?

Upgrade to windows 8 depends on how cheap i can get it.
    If real-world benchmarks show that its faster then i may consider it.

Tags: Add Tags