1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding N64 mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thriteenthmonkey, 6 Mar 2006.

1. thriteenthmonkey

thriteenthmonkey What's a Dremel?

I have an old N64 mobo left over from a project that I attempted a few years ago that never quite got off the ground, and I finally decided to put it to good use. This is my first case build but I have lots of experience in metal working in the nature of the FIRST robotics competition.

These are some conceptual images of the case I will be building for it
    [​IMG]
    This is the superstructure I will be using for the case. The dimensions are 7X7X3. The bottom and verticals are 1/8th inch 3X1 channel aluminum. The top is two 1X1 bars of channel aluminum. This will allow enough space for my top loading mechanism.All of the bars will be mitered where they meet at the corners for maximum sexyness. They will then be riveted onto 1/10th or 1/16th aluminum side panels.
    [​IMG]
    This is the front/side view.
    On the top you can see the on switch or button I will be using and the reset button, the power LED is in the middle.
    I decided that I would scrap the standard N64 controller ports for something a bit more sexy. I think that 1/4 inch stereo audio plugs should do it.
    Also on the side you can see where I plan to mount a fan because I removed the giant heat sink that the N64 usuaully uses to cool it's self
    [​IMG]
    Here is the back. I plan to use a standard computer power port (bottom) to bring power in (the psu will be internal). Above that we have the AV out. I plan to scrap the standard AV out and go with a 9 pin serial port. Finally at the top I have the two (or possibly just one) small fans to bring the air out the back.

Here is what I have so far.
    [​IMG]
    Stripped down to the bare bones. Lucky for me the game port just plugs into a socket on the bottom of the mobo, which makes it much easier to move it to the top.

This afternoon I worked for about an hour on making a custom fan grill (because I don't have any other parts yet). Fortunatly I had all the pieces I needed already cut for a robotics prototype I am no longer in need of.
    [​IMG]
    However, that dull industrial steel look won't do at all.
    [​IMG]
    After a few minutes of sanding it on the drill press it was looking much nicer.
    [​IMG]
    And the assembled fan grill. In addition to looking cool and guarding the fan the steal rods are also quite good at disapating heat and should act as a heat sink for the air as it flows into the case. At the moment it is much to big so I will be cutting it down once I get a case ready for mounting. I'm also going to do something about the PVC I'll either close the hole and paint it or get some nice aluminum rod and put my dad's tap and die set to good use.

shopping list and expected sources and time of aquisition
    - at least 3 ft of 3X1 channel AL *
    - 2x 7X7 aluminum side panels *
    - led side fan **
    - small back fans **,***
    - on switch **,****
    - reset button **,****
    - indicator LED and mount **,****
    - 4x stereo audio ports **?,***
    - 4x stereo audio plugs **?,***
    - 1 9 pin serial port (male) **
    - 1 9 pin serial port (female) **
    - standard computer power port **
    - standard computer power cable **
    * Industrial Metal Supply 1-2 weeks
    ** Fry's, Tommorrow
    *** All Electronics 1 week
    **** Radio Shack 1 week

2. Firefox90

Firefox90 What's a Dremel?

Sweet. I am in the process of making my own plexi case for my N64. I'll be watching this. :rock:

3. scaryperson27

scaryperson27 What's a Dremel?

4. thriteenthmonkey

sweet I didn't realize you could do that

5. thriteenthmonkey

Parts!!!
    red LED 3 speed fan
    [​IMG]
    audio adapter for the controller input
    [​IMG]
    lighted power switch and reset button I may or may not use
    [​IMG]
    and the serial connectors for the AV out
    [​IMG]
    I also have the power port for the back but the picture didn't turn out well

new updated model with the air hole on the side and the fan grill I made
    [​IMG]

I should be able to get the metal I need this weekend
    I'm thinking of using some polished brass for the sidepanels
    I think it would be more interesting then using aluminum for everything

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

To be honest, I would stick with a heatsink for cooling. That way its a silent system. Or, if you lowered the voltage on a fan so it was quieter, that would be good too. Silence is golden. :thumb:

7. thriteenthmonkey

It's a three speed fan and I'll probably be running it on low, I just ran it off my pc for a test run and it was very quite. I also think I will scrap the small fans on the back and just use a couple of vents seeing as I get pretty good airflow from the side fan.
    And incase you were wondering the reason I wanted to go with fan cooling in the first place was because Nintendo used a giant heat sink (in addition to the three small one's pictured) that obscured most of the board making it impossible to show off the circuitry
    also I do plan to put the small heatsinks back on (with a few added holes for greater surface area)

8. nintendoh

nintendoh What's a Dremel?

wow , I wish i knew how to do all this :(

9. Sherk

Sherk What's a Dremel?

I have an N64 laying around not doing much... and I do like overclocking... :idea:

10. mattthegamer463

overclock a N64? Somehow I doubt if that will work...

11. nemesis80

nemesis80 What's a Dremel?

actually all consoles can be oced, but some games are affected by the change in the clock..

12. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

It's posible, just like shown there.

13. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

wait... did I miss something? whatcha trying to do? overclock it and put it in a nicer looking case? sounds cool

14. afterhours

afterhours What's a Dremel?

lol. Omg, I honestly forgot what an N64 looked like. I was looking at the concept pictures with a GameCube look in mind.

15. thriteenthmonkey

here are some pictures of the frame elements I cut today the edges are still abit rough because I didn't have enough time to file them because of homework
    also I'm going to cut out the short sides (facing up) of the 3X1 aluminum so that it forms a channel piece
    [​IMG]
    this is how the side 3X1s will fit together in order to form the side of the frame and how I will use the small channels to form the slot for the n64 cart
    [​IMG]

16. thriteenthmonkey

I got some work in today here's a better idea of what it should look like
    [​IMG]
    I'm glad I went with brass for the side panels it looks nice that way

17. mattthegamer463

You should make a proper project log in the project logs section. That way everything will be easier to follow and peoples comments won't be interlaced with the updates.

18. thriteenthmonkey

I decided to scrap the button, power switch and indicator I bought and decided to go with custom built parts
    [​IMG]
    I also decided that the fan grill would be too hard to mount and decided to go with something that fit the mod better, I should get some work in on it this weekend

19. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

if you are planning on putting the n64 inside your case, you do know it can be powered off your atx psu, and you wont even have to use that crummy n64 power adaptor...

itd also be nice to integrate the audio output of the n64 to go into the line in on your motherboard that way its not confusing for the audio output

20. ToiletGamer

ToiletGamer What's a Dremel?

Very nice idea. Was actually thinking about doing something with my n64 not long ago, will keep an eye on the to see how it goes.