1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need new mobo, picky about certain features

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoolFox, 11 Mar 2008.

1. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

I've been thinking about making another computer for a little while, though I have some particular, though common, needs in mind.

Now, from what I've seen, in current mobos, Most Intel socketed boards are ATI CrossFire only... I'm actually looking to use the new nVidia 9600 if I can get my hands on one, and I'd like to be able to use a second card in SLI once I get a little more cash. (yeah, imagine, I'm using SLI in the way that nVidia marketed.)

I'm also a very heavy linux user (Kubuntu, yum yum), and I've been rather frustrated with my previous mobo's lack of driver compatibility. I've found my little workarounds, but for once I'd like my onboard sound to work the way it should. (or, maybe, eh, is that just how things are currently?)

Last, I like to do a modest amount of overclocking, and I do use watercooling (Danger Den, woot).

So, the rundown:

Intel processor
    nVidia SLI capable
    Linux friendly
    Stable in overclock

Last edited: 11 Mar 2008
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Your only option now is Nvidia 750i SLI or Nvidia 780i SLI. Perhaps the Nvidia 650i, but I'd avoid the 680i personally.

It all depends if Nvidia has the Linux support you need.

3. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

Reason? (help me out here, I'm clueless:))

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Even less 45nm CPU support than the 650i (the later 7-series has no problems) and very dubious reliability.

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

You want to run SLI on Linux? :lol:

Just get a single 8800GTS, an Intel chipset on your motherboard and call it a day. At least that way you'll be able to run Linux. :)

6. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

Oh, heh, no. :duh: Dual Boot setup with Windows XP. I forgot to mention that, didn't I?

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'd simply forget SLi as upgrade and go for a P35 or X38 board instead.

8. CoolFox

CoolFox What's a Dremel?

Ok, Ok, if the consensus is to skip SLI... is there a particular ONE slot PCI-E 16x slot mobo out there that has people whistling like hustlers in the street? If I'm not going to be using SLI or CrossFire, I'd rather not pay for that extra slot I'm never going to use.

9. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Asus P5k-E.

It's a simple choice.

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Asus P5K-E or Premium
    Abit IP-35 Pro
    Abit X38 Quad-GT
    MSI P35 Platinum / Neo-2 FR

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest