1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Next Thing Co. CHIP and PocketCHIP Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 6 Oct 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Just thought I'd note those little metal disks aren't inherently unreliable. The Atari VCS joysticks used them, and many of those still function today(and on most of the ones that don't, the plastic stick broke before the switches did).
    See also: 70s and 80s calculators(TI actually bought Klixon so they could sell calculator keyboards made with those switches).

You're just very familiar with a bad implementation of the technology.

The PocketChip itself is adorable, though that screen resolution is horrifying.
    The keyboard's bad too, but at least it has some tactile feedback for both positioning and depression so it's infinitely better than a plastic membrane like the Sinclair ZX81 or Atari 400.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

"Better than the worst keyboards ever made" is a very low bar to set, I'd say!

4. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Oh, it is definitely damning with faint praise. I would loathe typing on the thing. I just thought the little disks were getting an unfair deal, mostly.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You gotta love Thingiverse...

[​IMG]

piccie is a clicky!

Tags: Add Tags