1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Pics of my new car AV install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreatOldOne, 25 Nov 2009.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Guys,

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading the stereo in the Jag. Since I put a new Kenwood Double Din iPod unit in Mrs GOO's Laguna, I've been suffering from audio envy - it sounds much nicer than the factory fit radio in the S-Type (even if it is made by Alpine).

I'm idealy looking for a double din touch screen unit with Blue Tooth and iPhone compatibility. There's a couple of interesting units, that seems to tick all the boxes

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/stock01/ddx8024bt.asp
    http://www.carpages.co.uk/news/alpine-ixa-w407bt-25-08-09.asp

I'm not worried about the lack of Nav, as I have that on my phone.

Any suggestions to alternatives, and advice on where to buy? I got Mrs GOO's stereo on the spur of the moment from Halfrauds, mainly due to the fact it was on offer - and lucked out. But as this is going in the Jag, I don't want to take the risk of buing an utter pup from a bunch of cowboys.

Ta.

GOO

Last edited: 23 Jan 2010
  2. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I've always used Caraudiodirect.com - good prices and quick delivery.

GreatOldOne likes this.
  3. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

www.caraudiodirect.co.uk

and the accompanying forums at www.talkaudio.co.uk

Sorted. The forum is full of insanely knowledgeable people and much like here, a quick search will likely have you reading tons of stuff without even needing to post. I also recommend the classifieds on the forum and buying second-hand car stuff is a great way to get a better spec than originally planned in any bit of kit.

GreatOldOne likes this.
  4. GreatOldOne

Thanks - any recommendations on Head Units that might suit?

5. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Well my setup doesn't use double DIN and I have no experience of them. I'm also far more interested in sound quality than compatibility with Apple and phone tech.

I run an Alpine 9813 which is a great sounding, well built and extremely well specified unit for it's age and price and I do very much like Alpine HUs. However, they can sound a little bright depending on the kit you partner them with. As I presume you're running standard speakers with no amplification in both cars, I can't see that it'll make that much difference tbh.

If you really wanna stuff the Laguna (and why wouldn't you? :thumb: ) you should look at HU, amp and speaker upgrade. Of course sound deadening your doors is also often overlooked, but essential for decent mid-bass at even moderate volumes.

More info on the cars in question would be useful for a less vague response.

6. GreatOldOne

The kit would be going in my S-Type Jag. MY2005.

Current system is a Factory Fit Alpine unit made especially for Jaguar. It's not the premium system which IIRC has a seperate amp in the boot, and extra speakers.

All the speakers are stock.

7. GreatOldOne

8. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Nothing in that size and driver config will be massively impressive. That said, I'd probably look at JL in this instance. The only thing you need to bear in mind is that the power of a HU alone is almost never enough to get the best out of aftermarket speakers. If you don't intend to get an amp, I would consider not replacing the speakers and just sound deadening the doors and around the stock speakers. Should make the world of difference and will be a more solid basis for upgrades later on.

9. GreatOldOne

Thought I'd post some pics of my install now it's finished. I've put in a Kenwood DDX 8024BT, with Pioneer 6x8's. It's got built in bluetooth for the phone, so I stripped out the Jag BT module ready to be eBayed.

[​IMG]
    I replaced the Jag OEM mic, and tucked it away in the headliner so I wouldn't have to chase it all to it's other end. The new one is clipped to the headliner in the same position as the Jag one.

[​IMG]
    The Fascia adaptor is a very good fit, and hold the Stereo very securely - no cage, it gets bolted into the adaptor, and then the adaptor is bolted into the metal frame that holds all of the console components.

[​IMG]
    The stereo has two USB inputs - one for the iPod, and another for USB devices. This non-ipod one I've connected to an extension cable that I've routed into the ashtray cubby.

[​IMG]
    The dock cable has been run all the way back to the centre console storage bin, so I can put my iPhone / iPod out of sight.

[​IMG]
    The stereo has full control of the iPod / attached devices via the touchscreen. It charges the iPod, and with the new Kenwood cable I don't get the 'not made for iPod' message on the iPhone anymore.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's also great at playing video back as well from the iPod. DVDs as well, and movie files on SD cards and USB sticks. Music on that medium as well.

I'm really impressed with the way it's turned out. More importantly, so is MrsGOO! :)

Last edited: 23 Jan 2010
  10. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

sweet install...

hope you didn't splice the handbrake cable to the permanent earth so that you can watch video on the move, cos that would be naughty :)

11. GreatOldOne

No, because as a law abiding citizen, I wouldn't do that officer. :worried: ;)

Only way to get the video working - I asked on the Jag specific forums for the pin out for the electronic parking brake the S-Type has, and was told by actual Jag technicians to tie it to ground as splicing into the loom there wasn't a good idea.

Wouldn't watch vid on the move anyway.