Project C3PO - My Linux jukebox

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by papeniglio, 8 Apr 2004.

1. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

El_Angelo Thanks for the Link m8! Just needed this 1 i'm going to read your guide!:D. I'm Just a NOOB in linux, i'm only experienced with windows and a little dos but thats all!:worried:

Edit:
    Is this 1 even as fast as the linux installation described by the author of this thread. I would like the computer really fast!

Last edited: 15 Apr 2004
  2. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Yeah, I've seen your site and it's really well done!!! Thanks for the link. :)

3. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Thanks Sc0rian,
    the LCD was bought from Modwarehouse because I was not able to find a blue LCD in Italy. It was quite an adventure, but at last they sent it to me... They're having a lot of troubles with their site in these days....

4. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

HDD/DVD TRAY

The mounting of the HDD and DVD-ROM was the trickies part of the project, but I was so lucky to get all the parts fitted with a little work.... :)

My first idea was to use the RAM module and an edge on the front panel as a base for the tray; I made a rough test with a piece of plexy and found that I had to stack the things in this order:

Code:

---- DVD-ROM
         ---------- double sided tape
    ---- HDD
         ---------- screws
    ---- plexy

So I modelled a plain tray for the HDD and drilled four holes for the screw:

[​IMG]

Here is a test of the tray in its place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tested the position for the DVD too:

[​IMG]

Everything seemed ok, but I have one problem here: how can I fix the tray to the box? The first thought was to use some double sided tape on the front panel edge and on the RAM.... really quick and it can work surely, but it's not so good if I have to remove the tray for maintenance......
    So I started to look at the box and I found a nice hole that could hold the tray in its position; I made a little bracket and glued it to the base tray:

[​IMG]

and tested the new tray in the box

[​IMG]

PERFECT! :hip:

So the last test was to fix the original cd door to my slim DVD and put everything into the box. I was so lucky that the door locked exactly onto the DVD tray

[​IMG]

I had to drill a little hole into the door to get access to the eject button (the opening of the drive will be software controlled, but it's good to have the possibility to eject manually if something goes wrong!)

[​IMG]

Finally, the drive was placed on the tray and this is the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it's quite good! Now I have to fix the power switch, connect everything, check twice all the wires and turn on my new Philips CD/MP3 player!!!! :thumb:

Stay tuned..

5. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Nice work man! I did'nt know that there where people out there that still have an 830! When those CD-players came out they were very good!

6. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

SHOULD BE DOne by now come one i want to know how it looks and works

7. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Im looking forward to see the software running! :D

8. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Hey this project is superb, you're obviously a very talented modder and Linux guru!

Quick question; Can you see the LCD through the smokey glass on the front of the CD player or will you be cutting a whole for it?

9. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Now installing Linux on my 200Mhx :D very tricky to do this :eeek:! But i'll hope the system will run. I think i forgot to add the modules could i add these later? or do i have to re-install the linux core :worried:.
    I'm using this guide to set it up: http://www.tonywhitmore.co.uk/core/coreindex.html.
    papeniglio you've got your sys already running? I prefer windows because it's lots of easier to install, but it doesn't start as fast as linux does.

10. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Sorry for the delay... I've lost my 2 Mb/s internet connection this week-end, so I couldn't read the forum; working to set it up again...

The LCD can be seen very well through the smoked plexy, so the original front panel will be kept unmodified.

You can add modules whenever you want, provided that you have activated modules support during kernel configuration. On this distro you can use insmod to run your additional modules.

And yes, my system was running before starting to mod the Philips box and it's running with no problems. (I must suggest :read: !!!)

11. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

FINISHED! Let's the music play...

I've finished the hardware part of this project; I've fixed the DVD player, the power switch and closed the box... Here is how it turned out:

[​IMG]

I'm looking for the original plastic cover for the power switch: I know I have it somewhere, but my room is too messy now, so I'll let the time reveal that treasure!!!

When I powered on the box, I noticed that it was too loudy, so I removed the cover and tried to find which of the two fans was the most noisy; I reduced the PSU fan voltage to 5V and now it's really quiet. The box is running since saturday with no problems and there are no heating issues...

Here is a shot with the DVD tray open:

[​IMG]

And now the software side: here is the telnet session from my lap:

[​IMG]

You can see why the system is so light:

[​IMG]

only the bare essential processes are running, resulting in a very low memory usage.

When the system starts, LCDproc welcomes you with this screen:

[​IMG]

I will try to mod this making it display a more kind welcome message for some seconds, and then it will be ready for audio playing.

A quick adjustment of the audio levels through alsamixer

[​IMG]

and I'm ready for my MP3 test:

[​IMG]

here is mpg123 playing an MP3 file; you can see how low is the CPU usage from LCDproc:

[​IMG]

Only 10.7%!!! I'll have a lot of power for the jukebox application.

Finally, I tested the remote control with irw:

[​IMG]

all the keys on the remote are decoded and I can assign them any function....

OK, that's all for the harware setup.... Now I'm evaluating some jukebox applications: I've started with IRMP3, but it doesn't satisfy me at all; I'll try Cajun because it's web based and makes use of MySQL and Perl.... it could be useful for other functions, too...

Thanks to anyone who read this thread and hope I've given you some ideas to put that old crappy A/V stuff to a new life!!!

12. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

dood find an old factory get a crap load of old mother boards makes theese people will buy those i would want one maby one with a huge hardrive for mp3 storege

13. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Love the result really i do! :D trying to configure my own linux system aswell, very still very hard 2 do i think! :worried:. But is it also possible to switch between mp3's with your remote? (maybe a :wallbash: stupid question but ine the example you play an mp3 file you must give the filename you want to play). Is it possible to browse your library with the remote?
    But again: I LIKE THIS JUKEBOX! :clap: :clap: :clap:

14. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Very nice work. I'm about to do something similar. I've got an old dell workstation 400(p2 300 with 256mb of ram) that I'm going to put in an old cd player that decided to start eating cd's. Only problem is it's a cd changer and has a big rotating drawer - taking that out and still looking decent will be a challenge. I hope mine ends up close to as good as this one.

15. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Have a look at IRMP3 home page; you can organize your music collection and you can navigate through files with your remote; mpg123 is called just for playing the file you choose, but the main control is IRMP3...

In the example I was running mpg123 from the command line; IRMP3 was not running, that's why I couldn't use the remote to change song.

Now I'm compiling Cajun.... Want to test this.....

Thanks and don't be scared by linux! :rock:

16. Avner

Avner What's a Dremel?

17. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

No absolutly not :D i've already had to install it for about 5 times now but i've found the cause of an error and fixed it (well error, just changed something which the guide said i had 2 do) and well i'll keep learning :eek: currently installing the alsa drivers for my soundblaster pci128. And really i love linux my 200Mhz starts within 10 sec :rock:.
    Keep :dremel: m8!
    (Like the blue lcd screen in your cd-player, good job!)

Edit:
    Thanks for the link m8! i'll install it very soon! :D

18. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

Damn, pictures are down. I want to see!

19. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

EXCELLENT PROJECT!!!

I think you should post an indepth guide on the software, so everyone else can do it - I'd like to do a similar device for my mother :)

20. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

I agree here!, M3G4! Should be very welcome here how you'd setup your system!

Could you tell me how to configure telnet on my linux system, so that i cannoct from my main pc? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: 19 Apr 2004