1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Custom Build Case (Modmaster)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modmaster, 12 Mar 2004.

1. modmaster

modmaster What's a Dremel?

Hiya everyone,

Right i have desided after alot of thought that i am going to build my own case from scrach.

i have drawn up a very VERY poo draftup, but i am doing it in photoshop as we speak, this is just so that everyone knows the project is in the making already :idea: .

Any feedback as 2 improvements of the case, or the case shape would be helpfull, like if you think i should do something to it, tell me. DONT FORGET ITS A VERY ROUGHT DRAFT and it will not look anything like it. :thumb:

i will be making the case from sheet steel, the reason for this is my dad has just renivated a clasic MGB and he has loads of the stuff left over :naughty: :naughty:

[​IMG]

The First Set Of Plans
    • Case To Be Built Out Of Sheet Steel.
    • All Drives Stealthed.
    • Frosted Door On The Front.
    • Case Suspended 5cm Above The Dest By 4 Steel Tubes.
    • Side Panel That Lifts Up, Like The Car Of Back To The Future.
    • Front Lighting That Comes On When Frosted Door Is Opened.
    • All Plexi Case Front.
    • UFO Underlighting With CC Throber.
    • Most Probaberly An Ice Theme Case. (Still Looking Into It)
    • Lockable Side Panel For Security.
    • Front USB, Speaker Jacks, and Microphone Jacks.
    • Acrylic Side Window.
    • Acrylic LED Fans.
    • Re-Wired CD Drive, Button Relocated Elsewhere.
    • Slide In/Slide Out Hard Disks, Most Probeberly 2, Makes easy transfer to another case.
    • Re-Wired NetWork Hub.
    • More To Come........ (Any More Ideas???) :naughty:

Last edited: 15 Mar 2004
  2. Jang

Jang What's a Dremel?

Get busy doing some detailed pics of the front, and the door...

Thats the bit thats going to be seen ALOT so work on it loads :rock:

Laters Beef,

Over and out,

Jang

3. modmaster

Another small update:

i have decided wot handle i will be using on the side pannel:
    [​IMG]

and here is some more plan updates of the tower :
    [​IMG]

4. modmaster

Work Goes On!

Hiya,

Small update.

I have downloaded SketchUp and i have drawn ma case, its only basic at the moment and there is alot of work 2 do on it, here is the case at current: :D

[​IMG]

i am very happy with the shape now, the extra section on the top is where the PSU is going to be, (the case shape was inspired by JANG :thumb: tkx man). With it being a custom case, i have put the PSU in its own little section, this is so that the PSU heat dose not get into my main case, there is going to be a fan on the top of the PSU and on the fron and the back, the top 1 willl be pulling air out of the case, the one on the back of the case will also be pushing air out, but the one on the front will be blowing air into the PSU, this will give ample cooling of all components. :thumb:

The fans will be UV and ther will be 1 stealthed UV cathode in the top section, and there will also be 1 red stealthed cathode, i will mostly be running the UV cathode but i will also be using the red one for a change when i feel like it.

This leaves me with lots of room in the main case to do whatever i want, the other advantage of the top section is its nice and roomy for a watercooling Reservoir :D this will meen that there is just going to be heaps of room in the main case, and there will also be vertually/ NO cables showing so it will be a very neat job.

5. ATi Loyalist

ATi Loyalist Who throws a shoe?!

wow, they should make this into a real case, it looks very professional in its overall design. :rock:

6. modmaster

Thanks man, Well i think the build will start today (saturday) :rock:

I am going down to my local B&Q and buying the bits i need to start, like the metal cournering that will be making up the skeleton on the case, ill be getting these 2day and then starting to build the frame work :dremel:

ill update later.

7. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

I agree with ATi this could be a mass produced case. Looking great so far cant wait to see more updates

8. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

you worried me with the first paint piccy, but it's looking good in sketchup - i like the shape. keep us informed of your progress...

9. modmaster

Update #2

Hiya everyone,

right the project is on hold till next weekend :waah:

this is just down 2 a change of plan, as i said i went to B&Q and i stumbled across some nicer sheet steel, its the BARLY GRAIN one, it looks like this although the real stuff is very shiny :

[​IMG]

so when i saw this i fell in love with it and i have decided to use it, but i am looking all over to find it as cheep as i can get it. With me being in the UK nothing is cheep :sigh: .

ne way i have a case pic update for you all and i will keep you all informed as the plans progress,

an and if this project turns out as well as i hope, and the case looks sweet, then i will be selling them, obviously the orders will take a while to build, but at least they will be sweet, and very custome :thumb:

[​IMG]

thats all for now :dremel:

10. pancake

pancake Guest

What are you going to use to attach the top section to the main part of the case?

11. modmaster

lol erm thats a error on the pic, it is all going to be 1 peice, all the side panel will be 1 piece, and i will be bending the part with the perspex in it, and then the perspex will also be bent and pop rivited into place :thumb:

12. toand

toand What's a Dremel?

Cool, homemade cases rocks! :rock:
    Makes me wanna do something with all those aluminium L-pieces i've got sitting in the corner :idea:

13. RaptorLord

RaptorLord What's a Dremel?

:wallbash: Diamond Plate! :wallbash:

I was thinking this case would look great - and you chose the one material that I can't stand... Good luck with the case - its still a cool design!

14. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Interesting look... I like the windows in the top.. too bad that I have too many projects right now to build a case like that... Smart Idea...

15. TMM

TMM Modder

Try to find a place where they build boats. They use that metal for the top deck of boats, and they must use one single peice (no water leakages) so they ALWAYS have massive off-cuts or the metal which is usless to them. They will give it to you for nothing :D

16. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

an thats one sweet desgin

17. modmaster

well i have not said i am using dimond plate for difinate yet, its just an idea, i am still playing with the whole idea, i am thiniking of making it just out of sheet steel, and them spraying black.

humm thats very intresting, looks like i am off down 2 the boat yards now and asking oooooo so nicely, this will be the only thig that makes me build the case out of this kind of matal, otherwisw i am going to have to look at my budget realisticaly, and ill just have to end up making it out of sheet steel. :thumb:

18. Jang

Jang What's a Dremel?

Well, dunno if you all read that..

(the case shape was inspired by JANG tkx man).

yeah, i was going to do it on my case.. shows him a drawing then "yo jang, can i use that for my new case?" haha! :D

Rock on mate... :rock:

Speak to you soon on msn :thumb:

Jang