1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide QT110 Touch-Sensitive Button Guide

Discussion in 'Modding' started by gongzero, 16 Oct 2005.

1. Fladlish

Fladlish What's a Dremel?

If you want a lowpower one get the qt118, but that one comes only with a active high.. Just so that you know..

2. boardsportsrule

boardsportsrule What's a Dremel?

Awesome, thanks for reassuring me, i will be trying to go thru acrylic, so the qt113 seems like it will be better for me too! :) thanks :)

3. Fladlish

Fladlish What's a Dremel?

I got my qt113 yesterday and they worked as a charm, or kind of. The one that is connected to the psu start wouldn't work. What happend is that I was able to start the computer once, but if I did a shutdown of windows it wouldn't start up again untill I grounded the circut and tried again.
    I think it has to do something with the +5v from psu, it's connected so that it's allways live, eg the purple cable on the atx connector.The rest are connected to the normal +5v. It might be that the currrent isn't stable enough of that I have to add a resistor, will try that in a week.
    Adding the diagram that I'm using, note it's a bit diffrent from the one for qt110.

[​IMG]

4. boardsportsrule

boardsportsrule What's a Dremel?

man that is a perfect schematic, just what i want :) my qt113's will be here in a while, but i will let you guys know how they work. thanks.

5. chedabob

chedabob What's a Dremel?

i know this seems a bit weird, but would anybody be willing to build me three of these?

send me a pm if you are interested

thanks

6. stevie1556

stevie1556 What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know what the qt1080 or the qt110 ic chips are called in the UK? I've looked everywhere, and places like RS electronics, Maplins, eBay, etc and can't find any!

I'm in the process of building a pc for the misses, and I want to be putting some buttons on the front of a custom made case, for the power, play, stop, and track skip forward and back, just so it can be used for a media centre PC for the misses.

7. stevie1556

Does anyone know how to make these as media buttons. Like so they play, pause, stop and skip tracks on media programs?

8. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

find a keyboard with media buttons on it.
    take keyboard appart.
    attach output wires to correct terminals on keyboard controller. (you may need to use some additional circuitry)

9. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Ok...So I wanted to buy me one of these. But for my CD Rom...will this one you've built work for a CD Rom aswell?

10. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

no, that will just need the output cable from the QT chip to goto the eject button on the cdrom.

there is a guide on bit somewhere that says how to move butttons that are on the cdrom dive, that might be useful to you.

11. SuiSid3l

SuiSid3l What's a Dremel?

Okay having a slight problem. Which do I want my circuit setup for when Im using it to power on the pc? I tried both the DC output mode and the toggle mode but both gave me the same result. I turn the computer on and it powers up on its own for a split second then shuts down..then about 4 seconds later comes up on its own. Then if I touch the electrode it will **** itself down but I cant get it to come back upagain until I kill the power to the entire pc. Is it because i have the power wired to a molex connector? does it need to be wired directly into the power supply or mobo?

12. stevie1556

You need to take the power for it from pins 13 and 14 from the plug that goes onto the motherboard. Then it should work perfectly fine :D

13. ShaqArif

ShaqArif What's a Dremel?

Hi Steve, (and any other UK modders looking for the QT110 chips)

I've just ordered some from Farnell - try
    http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=9775722
    http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=9775889

Minimum order for delivery is £20, so you might want to have a look and see if there's anything else they have that you may want - I got myself a multimeter :thumb:

14. jamesavery22

jamesavery22 What's a Dremel?

Anyone have any recommendations for an electrode through 2-4mm of acrylic? I saw the recommendation for just a wound up piece of wire. Copper I'm assuming? From the QProx pdf's I know its best to make the electrode a little larger than the area you want to be a button. And to make it a mesh instead of a solid if its not sensitive enough. Any other pointers? Got a qt113-nd & a plethora of caps in the mail :)

Last edited: 20 Jan 2007
  15. Noobkiller

Noobkiller What's a Dremel?

I have a q

can you show us a picture of your electrodes behind a plexglass panel?

16. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

n00b Question here. Is there any way to build a touch switch without an IC?

17. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

Darlington Pair

18. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Or if you're really asking if you can build one without using a Qprox IC, there are lots of ways using cheaper and more common chips.

Xiachunyi, you've omitted the latching action. :D

19. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Could anyone post me a link or guide to a cheaper more common meathod?

Thanks

20. jamesavery22

jamesavery22 What's a Dremel?

Im still having electrode problems. I have a circuit and a acrylic top assembly that works fine when its by itself. I'm trying to mount it in an aluminum case in the front panel, which is a 1/8" thick aluminum panel with a 3/4" hole for a power button. I'm guessing the case acts like a grounding plane and is killing the sensitivity. I'm just playing with other electrodes now. Anyone have any advice?

Tags: