1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Questions on Water Cooling a Cosmos 1000

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fazanitar, 30 Jan 2010.

1. Fazanitar

Fazanitar What's a Dremel?

First up, I'd like to say hi as I'm 'new' to the forums. I've been a long time reader of the Bit-Tech forums since I first became interested in Performance computing and modding, and with my new build slowly becoming reality I have taken the plunge and joined your ranks.

I have a question regarding water cooling the Cosmos 1000 (the case I have ordered is actually the PURE all black edition, though I assume the dimensions and specifications are the same as the original model).

I am going to use water cooling in this case - the first time I have ever done so, and would like to know if it is actually possible to fit a 240 rad in the roof of the case without modding? I know there is space for 2 x 120mm fans there, but as it is also possible to alternatively install 2 x 140mm fans am I right in guessing that the fan spacing is a little different to the norm?

Again, sorry if that question isn't really clear but I am totally new to this and would like to know if I could get a 240 rad in the roof without modding (if so, which one? I was looking at the XSPS RX240 to purchase if it will fit) - alternatively I could fit 2 x 120 rads there instead - it wouldn't really be a problem as I'm just going to cool the CPU at the moment, but I think a single 240 would look a lot neater.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated - my case arrives on Monday, along with 8GB Corsair Dominator XMS3 and a Phenom II X4 955 BE.

Obviously before I rush out and get the watercooling gear I'm determined to ensure I get the right parts :p

Thanks in advance.

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I have a Cosmos S, are the dimensions the same?

3. Fazanitar

Yes I believe the dimensions are the same, though the Cosmos S can support a 360 rad in the roof without modding. If I didn't fall so hopelessly in love with the all black finish on the PURE I would have probably opted for that instead, as it is I will have to make do :p

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

My Cosmos S does have the space for 3 fans in the roof, so yes it would be able to take a 360 radiator in the roof.

5. Fazanitar

Well I actually got my case today and, after gazing at it for a while in stunned silence (this thing is an amazing piece of craftsmanship) I took a look at the top - the fan spacings are slightly different as they can accommodate either 120mm or 140mm fans, so a 240 rad would fit there but only held in place by 4 screws - where the first 120mm fan fits.

No biggie though - I'm gonna get a couple of 120 rads instead and just link them up - will fit on a lot better and still look good.

Thanks for the help, expect a project log as soon as I get the WC components!

Last edited: 1 Feb 2010
  6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I would be very interested mate - I've never watercooled before, but obviously with a Cosmos S i've got a near perfect case for it, so a guide to get me started would be super!

7. Fazanitar

Good stuff - will be my first ever attempt at water cooling, so my project log will be very much like a step by step guide as I'm doing everything for the first time.

Just looking at the case and the space there is to play with I've already pretty much planned out the loop - will hopefully be very neat.

Trouble is living in Tenerife I have to wait quite a while for parts to come through - going to order all my water cooling gear tomorrow though hopefully, so could arrive in about 2 - 3 weeks.

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Hey man, I've watercooled my Cosmos, hopefully this'll help you out a little bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can get some more pics if you need :thumb:

9. Fazanitar

Thanks mate - that's actually really useful, and it just so happens I may well get that waterblock (it's either that or a HeatKiller one) - am I right in guessing your pump is just above the HDD cages, or have you got a pump / bay reservoir combi?

The pictures are really helpful, thanks!

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Yeah, I got the XSPC combi one, only the single bay one. Great if you don't want a seperate pump and res.

11. Fazanitar

Nice - yeah been looking at those they seem like a great space saving solution - is that a 240 up in the roff too? how was that for fitting?

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Yeah, it is a 240mm, I attached the side with the barbs to the roof, just but it on the middle most fan mount, and it works fine, there's plenty of space up there as well, so you can get creative. I did try and put the rad above, in the plastic shroud on top, but it would have required some work on the black vent. Didn't really want to tbh. But there's tonnes of space there for a rad. With a bit of modding, you could even get a 360mm rad in there.