1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sandy Bridge-E power draw and pricing details emerge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Baz, 16 Aug 2011.

1. Bede

Bede Minimodder

These should be seriously impressive, I'm especially looking forward to seeing what the 3930K can do for properly threaded applications as that seems to be the price/performance sweet spot.

2. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

On VR-Zone is specifically states that the 130W is the rated TDP, and that WITHOUT OVERCLOCKING these chips are hitting 180W power consumption, leading them to have to ask PSU suppliers to make sure their PSU's can supply enough current.

Sort of reminds me of a Green team having qualified PSU's and Cases for their product.

The reason they do not supply boxed cooler is for price. If they had to include a stock cooler capable of 180W dissipation, they would have to up the price of the boxed version by a good few dollars.

So they go the 'enthusiast' route and remove the boxed cooler, and charge the same price anyway.

It looks to me like they have a problem with Clockspeed and Thermals, you can't have both.
    They would have never released a 180W part if they could have helped it, which begs the question "What went wrong?".

3. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

"It appears that Intel will still be selling its own coolers for the LGA2011 socket, but you’ll have to buy these separately from the processors"

This sounds like an obscene amount of power and we can’t help thinking that cooler manufacturers are going to have their work cut out designing coolers that can both dissipate the waste heat of an 180W cooler"

So intell are designing there own performance cooler for there performance cpu's, I had a mate of mine working in intel R&D email a sneak peak photo what they have come up with so far, still a 'work in progress' but it is pretty much what we will expect to see with a intel designed cooler

[​IMG]

4. Evildead666

LOL ;)

5. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

Looks like I made the right choice on upgrading!

I was toying with the idea of 2500K for quite a while but also considering hanging on to see what socket 2011 brought. With this information, I think I made the right choice by getting my 2500K months back and not waiting.

The i7-3930k looks like the equivalent in terms of clock speed but is 6 core, which is the only reason I had been considering waiting. At $583 though that's over £350 for a direct $ to £ conversion, not including rip off britain price hike.

I can certainly see this being faster for things that can really take advantage of the memory bandwidth and extra cores, but for my purposes (gaming, mostly) it doesn't make sense.

6. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

The reason we suffer a price hike in comparison to the US is VAT at 20%. In comparison e-tailers in the US charge no sales tax due to some loophole in interstate taxs laws.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

prices are what most expected who have been looking at this

quad channal ram
    999 dollars cpu
    expensive mobo

dout your getting much change outta 2k

power draw is worrying but anyone buying this is expected to be water cooling i guess

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

It is not a loophole, it is only one thing - people don't pay the inter-state sales taxes on their yearly tax form.

And the reason why you don't pay sales taxes right when buying items over internet from different state in USA is because of the crazy sales tax definition - you have the state, the county, the city (or city part) sales taxes. In short no one could have all sales taxes valid for all potential buyers in their database, so they could apply the right sales tax. Because of that. you should pay your sales taxes at the end of the year, when you fill out your tax form and pay your taxes. But why bother, right ? :D Interestingly, Europe is so much easier in this area. European Union has 27 states, that means 27 different VAT percentages. And that is it, 27 fixed values (and some extra because of special lower taxes for some items in some countries), which are easy to follow and handle. When i was buying from Amazon UK when UK had 17.5% VAT and Slovakia 19% VAT, Amazon automatically and correctly applied the 19% VAT on my order.

And mucgoo is right in the part that you can't just take the US price and convert it to GBP or EUR - you need to add the VAT, sometimes customs and a bit of "screw the stupid europeans" tax :).

9. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

this is what Intel is selling as a cooler for the LGA 2011 chips...
    [​IMG]
    the difference between this and the stock LGA 1366 cooler is...
    [​IMG]

10. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Ironic. I'm desperately trying to save electricity not use half the national grid... I thought server farms were as well? Intel roadmap derailed somewhat? I thought the FinFet design allowed quite big power savings...

11. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

180W is absolutely obscene, and $583 for an unlocked processor is just salt in the wound.
    This is clearly a chip designed for the 4+ way server market (with a lower TDP, mind), so I don't understand why Intel is even planning on selling this to enthousiasts (unless s1356 is a ways off, or has been scrapped?).

12. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

These chips won't be made on the new 22nm process - it's just souped-up Sandy Bridge at 32nm. Ivy Bridge (and a hypothetical Ivy Bridge-E) will be on 22nm and bring those fancy new transistors.

13. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

i7 2600K
    Newegg: $314.99
    Scan: £236.60
    $314.99 is £191.79 so that's a 23% premium we're paying in UK.

$583 -> £354.97 x1.23 = £436.61

Is Newegg based in a state where they don't pay Vat?

And yeah it's doable on a budget, I've set aside some money for PC upgrades already, but it's considering the cost of the whole platform and the performance gains from it. Like I said I'll wait for IvyBridge. :thumb:

14. faugusztin

In USA, the price you see on the Internet or on the shelf in shop is always WITHOUT the sales tax. The sales tax in brick&mortar shops are shown only when you are paying (you see the sales taxed on the paper printed from the cash register), on internet again only at final checkout and only if you are from the same state as the shop. It is a different system.

That is why i laugh everytime someone says that something is overpriced here in EU and the difference is only 20% - because then our price is exactly the same, just ours with VAT and theirs without the sales tax.

15. Evildead666

The SandyBridge-E version (If it is indeed that) looks just like the i980X version, maybe with an extra heatpipe, can't quite see clearly.

16. Coz

Coz What's a Dremel?

I asked a friend (who knows all there is to know about this stuff) about this story and he pointed out that Jaketown has an interface in the PCU (Power Control Unit) called "RAPL" (Running Average Power Limit) which can very effectively cap the power level of the processor. So, with that mechanism in place, why would Intel let the power level go beyond the 130W TDP? Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 is power limited as well I think.

Maybe the motherboard makers are stress-testing their designs with some sort of non-limited sample processor? I'm sure the final shipping product will be no more power hungry than previous 130W TDP parts when we see it later this year.

17. Chriscogley

Chriscogley What's a Dremel?

wow they look expensive and very flash and modern
    but gonna need a bigger radiators, bigger fans, and more coolant to keep that bad boy at bay

18. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

sales tax in the US never tops 10%, it goes by state it's 6% in my native michigan and there's no sales tax in Oregon, there's also no sales tax on online sales across state borders, so for Newegg that means outside of new jersey or CA, there's no sales tax.

19. faugusztin

"there's also no sales tax on online sales across state borders" - and this is where you are mistaken. There is a sales tax, but it's you who should put it in your tax report, not the shop. If you don't believe me, believe them :
    http://www.ctj.org/taxjusticedigest/archive/2011/08/its_time_for_a_federal_solutio.php

Or read your tax laws yourself. The point is - if sales tax is not collected by shop, then you must pay them yourself. If you don't do that, you are pretty much cheating your state on sales taxes.

Of course if your state really have no sales tax, then you are OK. But in most states in USA, you are not OK.

Edit: Oh and the percentage value of sales tax ? It's really sub-10%, unless local laws add more taxes on top of it, and you are in 10-20% sales tax region in most states.

20. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

looks like I'll be sticking with X58 until ivy bridge then.