1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Scavengers [Early Access, EGS & Steam for now]

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hex, 27 Apr 2021.

1. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Scavengers goes into Early Access tomorrow, April 28th 2021 at 08:00 BST. You can get a key from watching a Twitch stream with drops enabled.

It's going to be labeled as a BR by a lot of people, but the devs aren't labeling it that way and it's only just about technically a BR. It's a F2P, PvEvP sandbox action shooter. You load into a random location on a map with 2 teammates. Search around for weapons, scrap, and food. Gather as much data as you can and make your way to the main objective point. All the players will be making their way to the same final location so you may not encounter any other players until you get there. Fight to be the team that gets on the dropship and leaves. Oh yeah, there's also a storm all around you, gathering in intensity. You'll also need to keep warm and find shelter!

The tech they're using for this game is really quite impressive. Allowing them to create chaos like this:

It's on Steam and the Epic Game Store for now, but will be coming to consoles at a later date.

official site | steam | egs | twitter | discord | youtube | facebook | instagram

Arboreal and Mr Happy like this.
  2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

I've always wondered about this technology - are there many (indeed any?) games where having a huge simultaneous player count makes a material difference to your experience? Clearly there are advances to be had with something like Eve, where the huge battles could take the normal amount of time, and not several days!

Particularly I mean this transformative leap: MMOs have lots of players online at once, but is raiding with 150 players really a better experience than raiding with 20? Does an FPS game with 500 people in a lobby make any difference to your experience in one with 60? I am not convinced.

3. Hex

I think a lot of it, especially the 'over 9,000!' bit, is mostly just to see if they can. Not a huge amount of real-world usage for it. Yet. I'm not big into raids, so no, I can't see how 150 people would be more fun than 20. But I do see how roaming around public areas in Destiny 2 would be more exciting with more than 16 people there. I always like when a new planet/area opens up and it's really busy. We could have much bigger games without crashing client hardware under the strain. I think that could open up some exciting possibilities.

*Also, I won my first game \o/

Arboreal likes this.
  4. Hex

They just updated Scavengers and now you no longer need a key! Not that they were hard to get hold of, but now you can just download it on Steam and EGS!

I really need to team up with a couple of people to play this. Randoms hardly ever take my thermal boosts when they're complaining about the cold!

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Downloaded it yesterday on Steam and just did the intro playthrough. I like the look and feel of it, and look forward to giving it a more thorough go.

Shame it's such small teams, my regular LAN buddies make up 5 or 7, so we'd really like 6 player coop or multiplayer teams.

We play PUBG in rotation with the regular 5, which usually works, and a couple of the guys dip in and out.

Hex likes this.