1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks USB Bandwidth Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bajastx, 7 Mar 2002.

1. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

For whatever reason... my 3COM NIC stopped working.

I'm now using my 3COM cable modem w/ USB. When I used it with the NIC the Windows XP Network Task Manager would show a 10mbps connection. Now that I'm using USB it only connects at 750kbps.

Whenever I download something my 750kbps connection runs at a solid 99% (I don't think it can reach 100%). Is this the maximum bandwidth I can get using my cable modem w/ USB?

I can't change between 10,100 (half/full), or Auto Detect for the USB connection like you can with a NIC.

btw... I got a 1.5mbps connection... or pay for one at least.

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Do you have any other usb devices connected as the usb bandwidth is shared between devices. This really doesn't explain why you only get 750kbps. The only thing I can think off is that is the highest download speed of the modem, highly unlikely though.

3. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

Just the modem and my mouse.

4. Vertekal

Vertekal What's a Dremel?

USB's maximum bandwidth is 12Mbps. This should be more than sufficient to handle a 1.5Mbps broadband connection, as well as a USB mouse, scanner, camera, etc. running at the same time.

I had my Zircom <?> cable modem connected to my Win98 machine via USB before I got my Linksys router. I personally didn't notice a speed difference between a USB and a NIC connection.

Vert

5. Koolvin

Koolvin The Modfather

I you are using a KT133 chipset make sure you have all the latest Via drivers and USB patches - these boards are notorious for dropping connections on the USB interface.

6. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

just get a new NIC ASAP !

7. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

750k is the speed of the modem winxp only tells u max of what the connection can go there fore 750k is ur capped limit useing a nic 10/100m it would report as either 10 or 100 what eva u set it at coz that is the maxe transfer rate through the cards

Tags: