1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling watercooling psu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by uwannabigmak, 13 Jan 2005.

1. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

is it possible to watercool a psu? ive got an xconnect 500w modular and im looking for waterblocks to fit it. i dont have the resources/time/skills to make it myself. anybody have any any links to commercially made ones? im getting a high preformance radiator and will have some heat dissipation to spare for now.

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Yeah its been done a few times, theres a site with a whole log.
    Search on google, and i'm pretty damn sure you'll find it.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

http://snt-systems.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=71

You really have to make your own waterblocks for a PSU if you don't get one initially suited to it. I suppose if you know what goes where and needs to get cooled you might be able to do it with a Maze4 GPU or something (as it's relatively low profile) but I don't know enough about the subject really.

4. Hobnob

Hobnob What's a Dremel?

Aquacomputer sell a water cooled PSU around the 300W mark. It's designed for the small ID Aquacomputer tubing though and is a little expensive as is to be expected. Bladerunner manufactured all custom copper water blocks for his rig, including his PSU. I'm sure if you PM him or check out his site (google it) he'll be able to give you some more info :)

5. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond What's a Dremel?

Are you sure you want to invest time+money in W/C that PSU?
    I have read (@ the hardocp forums) that it is a re-branded powmax and that a lot of people are having problems with it.

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

It is NOT a rebranded Powmax, and I don't hear anything but the bull that MaxPC printed.

As for that, they got one of the original TEST units, and when it blew, they neither attempted to procure another or told us that it was a prerelease.

How do I know these things? I used to be a reviewer for PimpRig.com.

[H]ardOCP is a lot of flamers, loudmouths, and occasionally they stumble onto something decent. Even a blind mouse finds a crumb.

As for watercooling that PSU, possible, but why? They're already quiet/cool/powerful enough...

7. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

true ^

if you want silence, get a fanless one, they're pretty decent now (antec make some)

8. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Why build a faster car...the wheels already turn....

Answer: Because we can :D

Bladerunner did a nice little article about his silent system...give the forums a search, I think it was posted awhile back...

Just becareful...getting shocked by one of those things wont just send a 12v current down your body...

9. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

What happened to bladerunner? Did he go and get a job in the industry after the gainward cool FX thing? I was looking forward to seeing more of his articles :( and ZFZ hasnt updated for a long while (still a great read though).

10. Risky

Risky Modder

There are a few watercooled psus onthe market, from modified enermaxes to custom models. Quite a few are passive models with a waterblock instead of a passive heatsink.

My worry if that you're going to be pulling a lot more heat into the loop without any performance benfit. PSUs and Hard Disk may improve their longevity with better cooling, buit they are designed to run a hot and in a single loop colling wout adversely affect performance.

If you're doing a big watercooling project, I'd have them on a seperate loop to the CPU, GPU.

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

wow sounds a bit crazy thats one place id never want water to go lol

Most psus are so quite now too

my 4800 hiper typer r is impossible to hear

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you want to watercool your PSU, you'll have to make your own blocks, pure and simple. There are no aftermarket kits --although as pointed out you can buy a few watercooled PSUs that have already been converted. This is generally the safest option.

Bladerunner has seriously l33t skillz but does not produce his blocks commercially. He has a guide on his site on how he converted his PSU but that is generally all the info he can give you. To try and do what he did, you'll have to be quite skilled also.

Taking your PSU apart is always fraught with risk. The capacitors in there can store enough electricity to kill you, so you'd have to let your PSU drain for a week or so before opening it up (if you don't know how to do that, or what capacitors are, you should abandon your plans right now...). Converting your PSU to watercooling is fraught with risk for the same reason. Even the smallest leak will cause a massive shortcircuit. The damage this causes can range from: "Oops, my exensive rig is fried... to: "Oops my house just burned down" to: "Oops, I'm dead...".

You know how they say sometimes: "If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it"? Well occasionally with modding it's: "If you have to ask how, you don't have the skill to do it".

13. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

Started doing my own here (pictures now fixed). Moved to shuttle though so never finished, saying that though the thing worked fine only needed to add a couple of finishing touches (smarten up case, etc).

Last edited: 16 Jan 2005
  14. Byron

Byron What's a Dremel?

Nice work kermet! :)
    Yeah, zerofanzone.co.uk is tha best ;)

Tags: