1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Weird noise problem with my 9800GTX+

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ImInTheZoneBaby, 31 Mar 2010.

1. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

So, i've been having this weird noise problem with my new graphics card. which I got as replacement for an older card.
    Everytime I run a game, or a graphic intensive program a funny little noise from the GPU can be heard.

Im pretty sure it's not the fan. I've checked already, incase there is anything touching the fan, or the rest of the GPU. Not to mention you can hear the fan noise AND this strange noise.

The noise is a little high pitched, sounds a little mechanical. It's not usually incredibly loud (besides when on the main menu of Mass Effect 2) but it still annoys the hell out of me. I'm usually having to use headphones just to block it out which can be a pain.

The noise only seems to be happening however, when something is rendered onscreen. Usually being louder when using more power. If I have World of Warcraft running in windowed, it'll make the noise. Minimise and show the desktop; it disappears.
    Same goes for when playing Mass Effect 2. Jump into the menu (pressing esc) and the noise stops COMPLETELY until going back to the game, or into a submenu like "Squad" (which renders a 3D image of your character).

Anyway, I have no clue what this problem could be.
    Any clues, or ideas as to what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It is definately not the fan. I just tested the noise, and even pushed on the fan to slow it down to a complete halt. The noise still occured, and did not change in loudness or pitch.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2010
  2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

My 9800GX2 makes this high pitch squeal you're talking about. It's inaudible when idling on the desktop, but does become noticeable while gaming. I don't think its as serious as yours. But I'm sure its the same problem.

Its not mechanical, I'm guessing its components to do with the power circuit.

My power supply is garbage and I'm sure that doesn't help. What power supply are you using?

Ive heard this sound before from Switching power supplys under a lot of stress.
    I'm guessing either A) the sound is comming from your Power Supply B) the sound is comming from a voltage regulator, or something to do with the power circuit on the graphics card. Probably because the power from your PSU is noisy under load.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2010
  3. ImInTheZoneBaby

I used to run a 550w, but now I own a 750w.
    I thought it would have been more than enough to handle this GPU.

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

It might be one of the caps on the card squealing, I've heard of that before somewhere,Or it might be the bearing in the fan.

5. ImInTheZoneBaby

Would it be best to send it off for replacement, rather than fiddling around with it?
    I don't want to void my warranty.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Make sure it is the card making the noise and the contact where you bought it and take it from there.

7. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

My 8800GTX does this under heavy load and so does somebody elses that I know.

A little research led me to the conclusion that it's the chokes on the card and you'll find many people complaining of the same issue with some of Nvidia's G80/G92 based cards (can't speak for the GT200 or GF100 models). Somebody once assured me that a spot of silicon or hot glue in the right spot might solve the problem but to be honest, I just got used to it.

If it really bothers you I'm pretty sure that you could arrange an RMA but mine's been plodding along just fine for the last couple of years or so, and that's with a pretty significant volt mod!

8. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

It could be a choke or coil.

9. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

It's quite common on Nvidia cards, don't worry about it - inductor coil squeal. It also affects the HD 4890 apparently.

10. ImInTheZoneBaby

Well, from what i've encountered I think it's also bottlenecking my performance.
    My friends laptop, which is lower specced, is running Assassins Creed 2 better, and even World of Warcraft. I am definately worried. Even Flash video is seemingly non-smooth when in HD. This DEFINATELY was not a problem with my previous 8800GTS.

I have sent off my voltage and wattage specs to BFG, as they have asked for it in response to my problem. We'll see what happens...

11. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

My GTX-280 squeals for a few seconds when initially loading games. It's just on the cusp of audible and it doesn't seem to do it whilst actually gaming. It's odd but I don't think it affects performance in the slightest. I'd be looking elsewhere.

12. SazBard

SazBard 10 PRINT "C64 FTW"

Don't worry, its an Nvidia thing. My 8800GT does it while f@h.