1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice What's my best upgrade at the moment?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darkwisdom, 9 May 2018.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Basically, I'm still using a 3570k, 8GB of DDR3 1600Mhz ram and a GTX 970.

I can't afford an entire build - It's likely to be a CPU,Motherboard & Ram upgrade or a GPU upgrade, not both.

I'm thinking of a GTX 1070/ti, but I'm not sure what my best upgrade is for around £400 or so.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Personally I went the GPU route. Looks like you can get a Ti for £400. 16gb has helped too from time to time.

My 3770 still seems to have very little issue with gaming, the GPU made all the difference. You 1080p/1440p and mainly for gaming or...?

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

On this build, definitely GPU. Then start saving for a platform upgrade when you're ready.

4. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Difficult to be sure what to suggest without monitor resolution and what you use the computer for, but tbh I'd suggest sticking with what you have, depending on monitor resolution. If you're at 1200p or less, keep your money. If you encode videos or do anything with multiple threads then going to Coffee Lake or Ryzen would be beneficial, otherwise stick with your existing hardware.

My 970 is handling everything well enough and I can't justify an upgrade unless I go up from 1920x1200 - which I have no intention on doing.

As no new motherboard will support DDR3 you'd have to swap CPU/Mobo/RAM in one go and DDR4 prices remain above MSRP prices, over £80 for a single 8GB stick, and I wouldn't flip to DDR4 unless you go for 16GB.

I'm only on a generation newer and see no reason to upgrade until at least the end of the decade - I'd suggest you do the same for now.