1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Which better for dual purpose GTX570 or 670

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by malbluff, 20 Jul 2012.

1. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

I am currently trying to put together a system for both video editing and gaming (don't laugh). Whilst I appreciate the 570 has some advantages for video, the 670 is obviously worth the extra cost for gaming purposes. What I find difficult to "get a handle on" is HOW MUCH better the 570 is with video work. I'm looking to be able to do short training videos, to a reasonable standard, for club/ seminar use, not do a 3D remake of Star Wars, so if it's just a case of the 670 being slightly slower at rendering etc, I can live with that, for the better gaming performance. Some advice would be much appreciate.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

You may as well buy the 670 and just let your cpu encode for you.

3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

580 best of both worlds.

4. allanparker

allanparker What's a Dremel?

Definitely the 670. Don't be fooled by the name, the 670 is a much bigger increase over the 570 than the 7x designation would suggest. Its also much more efficient, which means you'll be saving on your electrical bill over time (although how much I have no idea, honestly. Could be insignificant).

I go back and forth between red and green, but I will say my friend has a 7870 and for 40$ less you're losing an unbelievable amount of performance for that small difference. The 7850 is barely faster than my old 5850.

670s are the best bang for buck right now.

5. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I had (sort of) considered the 580. I started off with the thought that the GTX570 was possibly the best compromise for BOTH gaming, and VE, but then when I thought about a "step up", the 670 seemed the best choice, rather than 580, certainly in terms of value for money, in gaming. My problem is, whilst there's loads of info comparing gaming performance, there's very little QUANTIFYING any differences in VE performance. If it's just a case of the 670 being a few percent slower, I can live with that, for the better gaming performance.
    :wallbash:

6. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

from what I know are the new 6xx based cards much worse for application based things compared to the gtx 5xx cards... so if I were you id look for a gtx 580 or 570...

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

^^ This.

NVidia stripped out most of the compute hardware, which is the reason why the 6xx series is so frugal when it comes to power usage.