1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win 7 forgets logins and passwords

Discussion in 'Software' started by CrapBag, 17 Jun 2010.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

For certain non security sensitive sites etc I let windows 7 store the login details and the passwords but everynow and then it forgets the whole lot.

Is there some function I need to turn off that automatically clears them out at a set interval?

Anyone else experience this?

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I'd think it's your browser that stores the passwords, not windows.

I've had a problem with firefox 3.0 back in the day, one day it got messed up and it kept losing all my cookies. I don't remember how i fixed it but it probably involved a clean OS install.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh your most likely right, shoulda dawned on me it would be the browser that was storing the info.

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Last Pass is the best solution. Every time you log on somewhere it asks you whether you want to save the password or not. If you do want to save it, it saves in the cloud which means that you have access to your passwords everywhere. There's also an auto login feature as well as an auto full feature. The auto fill is really cool. Let's say you are registering to EA.com, when it will ask you for your name ,phone number or whatever, LastPass can fill all of the boxes using a pre made profile

5. steel_viking

steel_viking What's a Dremel?

If it's just password management you're after, have you considered KeePass?

6. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I have both LastPass and KeePass. They save me a lot of time and hassle, though since the latest update on LastPass for ff it keeps not logging me in when I start the browser which is a little annoying.

7. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Its the browser that stores it.

I have firefox and chrome and they both have sections where you can view/delete saved usernames and passwords.

Never had that problem myself unless i've cleaned the history and ticked the box to also clean out usernames and passwords.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I haven't touched it recenetly, its a fresh recent install of Win 7 and thus a fresh install of IE8 but it just deletes everything when ever it feels like it.

Time for FF me thinks.