1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Zotac GeForce 8600 GT ZONE Edition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Sep 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I actually really like the look of this card. It's got some subtle design features that really make it that much better somehow, such as the "PCI slot cover" extending over the sockets/etc... on the PCB. Not only that, but the heatsink looks rather aesthetic when compared to other seemingly ugly heatsinks.

+1 imo.

3. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yeah, it's a nice card but it's just not outstanding in any one area given its price. I'd get a silent 2600 XT GDDR3 if I was building a home theatre system (around £70), an X1950 Pro if I wanted an out-and-out performer if I wasn't bothered about DX10 and I'd stretch to a bottom-end 8600 GTS (~£110) if I was after DX10 capabilities too. :(

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

its got to be either a 2400 or a 2900 for home theater depending on if you want to game or not. i dont really see the benefit of this card

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Unless your running freevo or mythTV in which case you really need an nvidia card, AMD are getting better but they've not earned it yet.

7. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Yeah, I'm always a sucker for design over performance. :p

8. walle

walle Minimodder

I take a passively cooled graphics card over a fan ditto any day. Zero noise pollution is a blessing; once you’ve gone passively you never go back to the hair fan ever again. Granted...performance wise this card might not be the best one out there, but frankly; you don’t purchase a passively cooled graphics card in the first place if you seek maximum performance eh? silencium is the key here. oh, and nice review by the way.

9. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

no temperature graphs? thats what i wanted to see :(.

10. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

What is the most powerful passive card at the moment? is it still the XFX7950gt? Obviously it doesn't do DX10, but its not like mid end cards do it that well either.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yeah, I believe the XFX 7950 GT would be somewhere right up with the fastest. I know that there are passive coolers out there for the GeForce 8800 GTS (not sure if it fits the GTX and Ultra) from Thermalright if you're willing to install a third party heatsink and potentially void your warranty (dependent on which manufacturer you buy from).

Tags: Add Tags