1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Advice on a minor OC on my Q6600 on stock intel cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kierax, 25 Mar 2008.

1. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Hi guys

I am curious if I could push my Q6600 on Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit on it's stock Intel Cpu Cooler to 3GHZ, I have NEVER oc'd a processor before.

My motherboard is

Abit IP35 Pro

Ram is

Corsair XMS2 800MHZ 4GB in 2x2GB Sticks

Case is

Antec 900

Power is

Seasonic S12.

All advice welcome :D

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

3Ghz is a pretty easy achievement for a Q6600.

I don't actually have one so I'll leave the directions to someone who knows what their doing. :p

3. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Sounds positive :D i look forward to newbie styled instructions :D

4. allockse

allockse The Cheesecake is a lie...

What stepping is your Q6600?

It's MUCH easier to OC a G0 (SLACR) than it is to OC a B3.

I wouldn't be too worried about hitting 3Ghz on air. Just make sure you go up in small incriments, and keep close tabs on your temps.

I would leave as much as you can on automatic as far as voltage settings go on your board.

Now that I mention it, what board do you have? In reality the board is the limiting factor.

Ok, ABIT IP35, sorry didnt see your CPUZ.

You should be fine with your hardware setup. Take your time with it, rushing it just leads to error, which leads to PC death.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2008
  5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Things to do in BIOS first:

• Set the PCI bus to 100Hz rather than leave it on Auto - that way you won't inadvertently overclock your graphics card.

• Set the memory ratio to 1:1 (or keep an eye on the memory frequency as you increase FSB, keep it below the memory rating by reducing the memory multiplier.)
    Graysky has a good guide here, in the forum where this belongs. Get the Prime95 and Coretemp software so you can test the overclocked system stability and check things aren't getting overheated. :eeek:

6. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

I wouldn't even think of OCing a quad with the stock cooler if you're going to be doing anything that stresses all four cores. Mine runs cooler at 3.6 ghz with a good cooler than it did at stock speed and voltage with the POS stock cooler.

7. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

for the sake of around £15 its worth getting something like a arctic freezer pro, plus they look damn good in a glass sided case

Tags: