1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU APC UPS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by morris8809, 21 Sep 2011.

1. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

Hey all just a quick question. I'm looking for a decent UPS for my home office because we have quite a few lightning storms and brown outs in my area and recently had lightning take out all my networking equipment that was going through a UPS but didn't filter the coax.... Anyways here is the APC unit I am looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101419

I know a little about UPS units but just wondering if anyone had any experience with this one or had a better suggestion. Thanks

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

How many/what things does it need to protect?

3. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

My main pc (pc 1 in sig), monitor, cable modem, router and switch. Total draw idling on my kill-a-watt is around 280 watts.

4. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Since you have brown-outs and lightning storms, you should definitely use something from the SMART-UPS range. The Back-UPS range has rudimentary filtering and no automatic voltage regulation.
    You could use something like this Smart UPS SC 620 for your cable modem, router and switch. It has ethernet surge protection so in case something nasty comes via coax, it will only fry the cable modem, which you probably don't own anyway.
    For your computer and monitor you could use the Smart-UPS SMT1000, or it's bigger brother the SMT 1500. It all depends on how much time you need your computer to run on battery in case of a power failure.

5. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

From the APC website on the BR1500G
    "Boost and Trim Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)
    Gives higher application availability by correcting low and high voltage conditions without using the battery.
    "

This is not the same?
    I have a Smart-ups SC420 but it doesnt have a very good run time and is close to if not over max with just my pc hooked up.

I own my cable modem and currently have it going through a surge supressor for coax and the power, i just need something that could do the filtering for coax, power and keep my from taking the brown outs

Last edited: 21 Sep 2011
  6. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Should look at the Eaton Powerware range

7. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

The BR1500G is a Back-UPS Pro, not a plain Back-UPS. This range sits between Back-UPS and Smart-UPS.
    It does have some voltage regulation and probably some filtering, and I say 'some' because it's not as good as the Smart's. Let's take a quick look at the specifications (assuming you live in North America, so looking at 120v models):

SMT1000
    Output Voltage Distortion: Less than 5% at full load
    Filtering: Full time multi-pole noise filtering : 0.3% IEEE surge let-through : zero clamping response time : meets UL 1449

BR1500G
    Output (on battery): 115V +/-8%, 50 or 60 Hz +/-1 Hz (auto sensing) (the 8% variance says a lot about their inverter quality)
    Filtering: none mentioned whatsoever
    It does say it has Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR). No hard numbers though.

The Smart range of UPS-es is designed for professional use, is more expensive for the same capacity than the Back-UPS Pro, which in turn is more expensive than the Back-UPS.

Your SC-420 is also a good UPS, but of course it's not enough to hold all your equipment.
    My advice would be to use it for your cable modem, router and switch and it's surge protection for the ethernet that comes out of the cable modem. Leave the coax surge suppressor on. For your computer and monitor buy a second UPS, the 'smartest' your wallet allows.

8. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

Thats my problem currently is that the br1500g is the best i can really afford with a max of $200 usd.

Edit: I found this eaton model on newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842124004

Anyone know anything about the eatons? good? bad? Im going to do a little searching on them in the mean time, looks like a decent ups for the price.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2011
  9. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Eaton power-ware make UPS for IBM and lots of other company's, there cheap and defo not nasty. they are considered to be the other big third party UPS company to APC. 3rd party being not HP, DELL etc. APC seem to have a name price tag on them. Eaton powerware have ABM which means batterys usually outlast APC and you also get more for your money with Eaton.

Now differences in the range fall under 3 categories (similar with APC i believe)

Low End
    1 Power Failure
    2 Power Sag
    3 Power Surge

Mid range
    1 Power Failure
    2 Power Sag
    3 Power Surge
    4 Undervoltage
    5 Overvoltage

High End
    1 Power Failure
    2 Power Sag
    3 Power Surge
    4 Undervoltage
    5 Overvoltage
    6 Switching transient
    7 Line Noise
    8 Frequency Variation
    9 Harmonic Distortion

10. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Also Eaton Powerware are a subsidiary of Eaton who are a industry giant. Similar to Mitsubishi etc who make everything under the sun.

11. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

According to the info i found online it seems that that pcs run from battery on the eaton and it continuously recharges them is this correct? Also Is that model the best in my budget? Thanks for the info.

12. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

what your mentioning is a online UPS.. these are the high end ones i mentioned

Basic UPS would be a Offline solution, when the input voltage falls below a certain threshold it switches to the batteries.

Mid Range would Be line interactive which is like a offline but when its on either it will go through a auto transformer which selects different coils to control the power output.

What do you want your UPS for, What power issues are you experiencing looking to avoid?

13. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

...That 5110 will do you very nicely. On idle you should get around 20 mins run time with USB shutdown. The Powerware software is better than APC's Java based software too. The software is a free download on there site also so maybe download it and see what it can do.. (ive never done it, or know if you can ply with it unconnected to a UPS)

14. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

Currently I live in a mobile home (trailer, aka manufactured home) with my fiancee's grandmother until we get a house to live in. The power and wiring in this house is not the best and there a quite alot voltage fluctuation going on all day. Here recently we have experienced a few major lightning storms and brown outs. I would like to protect against as much of this as possible.

Two months ago i had lightning hit my parents home and take out $400 worth of networking equipment that was on my apc sc420 but it came through the coax cable on my cable modem and then went into the ethernet line and fried everything.

15. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

now i dont know much about coax/ethernet filters on these. you seen it as a feature? if you can get any questions i see a power rep most Wednesdays and get answers

morris8809 likes this.
  16. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

I was just letting you know what problems i have been experiencing lately. I currently have the coax filtered through a surge supressor so its not important for the ups to have that feature.

17. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

We sell the Powerwares at work and have had a good run with them. The 5110 model should be enough for what you want. Either the 1000 or 1500va model.

morris8809 likes this.
  18. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

Okay, thanks for the great info guys, looks like ill be going with the 1440 (1500) va model unless i find something better by next month. Really appreciate it.

19. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

Got the eaton 5110 1440va model, works very well and the monitoring software is good :clap: . It has kicked on about 7 times due to brown-outs so far...... Thanks for the help guys.

20. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

Glad your happy with it.