1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applepie's case - noname - updated jan 10 (= - (.jpg, 640x480 pics, MANY)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Applepie, 9 Aug 2004.

1. Arne

Arne What's a Dremel?

Some good drilling you did there :hip:

Let's se some more eye candy :naughty:

Last edited: 6 Nov 2004
  2. Applepie

Applepie What's a Dremel?

update....

oooo! update time. Finally... =P

SOooo, testmounting to make sure the screws are lined up...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And making the holes in the box and mobotray...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And its time to mount the 3,5mm jacks...

[​IMG]

Soder 'em up with some heatshrink and with a 4-pin connector...

[​IMG]

hehe and one of the old TT fans made ready to test the jacks...

[​IMG]

As most of you probably know, to use the PSU without the rest of your comp, ground the green wire with a small homemade jumper. :naughty:

[​IMG]

And make sure the jacks are properly heatshrunk and ready to go. =)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In case you are wondering about how I made the holes... I used a holedrill acctuallly meant to be used with wood but it works well with the sof aluminum.

[​IMG]

Next up: Mounting the XLR jacks and finishing the junction box. :rock: :rock: :rock:

3. Arne

Arne What's a Dremel?

Man you are a slow updater :eyebrow:

EDIT:So are the forum users :hehe: :D

Last edited: 8 Nov 2004
  4. Applepie

aaight...

Sry again for the slow updates, I've just been very busy....

Anyway, here we go:

So the XLR jacks have small thingies on the to stop them from turning in their hole, so I need to make small cutouts in the mounting holes for the XLR jacks to fit. For this I used what I guess is called a "technicians tool", which is really much like a dremel only its made for more fine work so it can't handle some of the more heavy duty stuff that you can do with the more powerfull dremels.

[​IMG]

This pic should illustrate what I mean by "cut outs". Also I have started to solder 'em up.

[​IMG]

All in all, it looks pretty cool from the outside as well =)

[​IMG]

And all jacks Im going to have on the box soldered up and ready to go.
    Note that Im putting 4 pin connectors on there for easy connecting to the PSU, I early on decided that I don't want to "ruin" the PSU by cutting cables and stuff so this is prefect and it fits in with my idea for cable management that you'll see later on.

[​IMG]

Alass, the screws screwed me, or atleast gave me some trouble, putting the box together to I had to make small cutouts for them as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For this I used the following implement on the T-Tool:

[​IMG]

Next pic will start to give you some idea to how the junctionbox will look. :thumb:

[​IMG]

The two XLR are basically going to provide power to the fan controler that was originally supplied by two 4-pins. The 3.5 mm jacks will power some other fans as well. In retrospect I acctually got more jacks than Im going to use as the FC gives me 8, but hey, I can use the power for other stuff later on. :naughty:

Also, I just wanted to show what the 120 mm ADDAs look like when Im done with them. :)

[​IMG]

Thats all for this time, next time Im gonna start to mod window side panel.
    Im leaving you with a sneak peak:

[​IMG]

5. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

the cases is coming along nicly but i got to ask what are u going to use the 4 5mm jacks? are they going to be like line-in mic and headphones?

6. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

It looks like he is using them to connect up his fans (the fans also have the headphone jack connectors on them).

Case is lookign good, keep it coming

7. Applepie

Yeah, all jacks and plugs, except the 2 XLR, are 3.5mm stereo plugs and I will used them to power my fans and perhaps something else. Acctually, as I said I have more jacks than Im going to need right now but thats really not a problem. I think for start I'll have two fans on the controler and two on the box. Really doenst matter though as these fans are already on a low rpm so I'll have to have to controler on max all the time anyway. I'll also power the front EL-strip from the box. I should probably mod that text as well.....

8. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

nice hardware and some nice work as well.

9. Applepie

10. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Looking pretty good so far, but on the upper blowholes, make the corners which connect fan hole to straight line a little more rounded for flow.

11. Applepie

Good tip, I'll do that as soon as I find the time. =)

12. Applepie

so, here we go again.

I was gonna post from working on the side....
    Its all very straight-forward....

Mask it up, drill and let it have it with the electric hack-saw . :)

[​IMG]

Only thing that requires some thinking is the area around the handle.

[​IMG]

Its fairly easy to remove..... I think these pics speak for themselves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just gotta pinch the two little thingies towards the middle and it pops right out.

More drilling and then its time to saw the whole thing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just a small situation arose around the handle because of the windows previous shape.

[​IMG]

Which was swiftly dealt with by the use of a file.

[​IMG]

In one corner there used to be a mounting hole for the window so I had to file it a bit more down than I'd like.

[​IMG]

But the end-result is still quite satisfactory.
    Observe that in this pic I still havent started work on the two corners at the bottom.

[​IMG]

Ok, thats it for now, next time Im gonna be starting work on my lighting stuff as Im waiting for a piece of plexi fort the window.

13. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

nice! real orac 3 style! :D

14. |I.H|

|I.H| What's a Dremel?

me wants more pic :waah: :D

15. Applepie

Yes, Orac3 has been my main source of inspiration to start the :dremel: :ing.

Mad props g-gnome. ;)

Im sorry about the slow updates, Im gonna try and keep up better, but you know how it is... annyway, here is one. =)

So, I left you with the side panel in progress, sinc I have no plexi at this time, Im moving on to the lighting, which I think is one of the nice aspects of this case.

So, first I decided to put LED's on the junction box to light up the mobo, so I drilled holes...

[​IMG]

Soldered and h-shrunk...

[​IMG]

Ok, so this next pic illustrates how I solved the problem of wanting a juction box but not being willing to cut up the cables comming from the PSU, really the most obvious solution but then again perhaps not....

[​IMG]

Testing....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wow, thats bright.... gonna frost the LED's with sandpaper, I want a more subtle lighting, I'll get to that later.

Now, I've noticed a problem, the mounting hardware for the fancontroler doesnt fit because of the rad hanging down. :waah: :waah: :waah:

The thing in that goes towards the middle is blocked by the rad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't have that one figured out quite yet, well, of course Im going to fabricate new mounting hardware, just gonna see what material and soem stuff.

While consideirng those options I put in a LED to light the water reservoir, but I'll just leave you with a sneak peak. ;)

[​IMG]

Anyway, things are gonna happen in the next few updates that will show the whole thing comming together so stay tuned. A lot of different things are going on at the same time now. :thumb: :thumb:

16. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Looking good! seems like I've always been right.. Swedes do the best mods ^^

17. Silenced`

Silenced` What's a Dremel?

looking nice, i got some TT competition ;)

grtz,
    Thomaz

18. Applepie

Right, faster update this time. :thumb:

Sooo.... I decided to ad another LED to the box and then to frost the lot with sand paper to make em more sublte.

[​IMG]

I think Im done with the box for now, heres what it looks like on the inside:

[​IMG]

So I said a lot of different stuff was going on, I decided to replace the fron mounted fans with the silent Papst kind. =)

[​IMG]

Haven't bought the new ones yet though but atleast I took out the old ones. :D

The I kept working on the lighting.... I decided to put an LED behind the little grill on the intake of the pump, hopefully it will look sweet when its done. :thumb:

[​IMG]

I decided to have some of the cables run behind the mobo try and thus effectively hide them from view, including the power for the CD-Rom and for LEDs.

The, unfortunately, I ran out of resistors so I had to some extra soldering to get the right resistance. :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, as I said, I put an LED to shine through the tank.

[​IMG]

The pics taken in the dark really doesn't show how good it looks, the water green from the glycol and the blue shining through, mmmmmmmm. :D

[​IMG]

And then I complete a mod I've been thinking about for a while. Im gonna have LED's at strategic points behind the mobo which will be seen as a glow from behind the mobo.

Testing....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dunno why I took this one.... the juctionbox from behind.... won't be visible when the side panel is back on...

[​IMG]

This one was a bit tricky to get into place.... but I did it with force. ;)

[​IMG]

Okey, more to come soon. :hip:

19. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

this is looking really sweet. I like the way that you are using all the leds and the junction box to plug your fans into is a nice idea. keep up the good work

20. noCode

noCode What's a Dremel?

Nice looking!

Olycklig rubrik på tidningen dock, speciellt med alla brännmärken runt :D

(the swedish is a comment on the magazine, and not translatable)