1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Best Linux Server OS?

Discussion in 'Software' started by SHAKIRALOVER, 29 Aug 2005.

1. SHAKIRALOVER

SHAKIRALOVER What's a Dremel?

I was told RedHat Fedora Core 4 was the best,and im downloadin it now.
    But someone in another thread said it isnt that good?

2. RTT

RTT #parp

"The best Linux Distro is probably the one you are using" - someone.

Just find one that works for you and don't listen to what others say ;) FC4 should be very good though.

3. ColD_FusSioN

ColD_FusSioN What's a Dremel?

Im using Fedora Core Release 3 in 2 of my servers and they work very smoothly, so i expect Release 4 is better....
    Remember if it works for you, it is the one you are looking to.
    :rock:

4. SHAKIRALOVER

Yeah Fed 4, aint havin it on pc.
    Any other suggestions?

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

There is no answer to that question... It's like asking what is the best car...

Fedora is a good starter... But I think once you get the hang of it, you'll explore the world, and go search for something more specific for your needs... Like Gentoo, Ubuntu, ...

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I have to admit, if you're going for the off-the-shelf-but-free server (meaning you don't want to compile bleeding edge versions of software, which is usually a bit irresponsible to do in a production environment anyway), I would highly reccomend finding a distro with a good software update/management package.

While Yast, and other RPM managers do fairly well, I just can't help but love debian's apt-get. (and I've heard gentoo's emerge is very similar)

All of my servers are going to be debian from now on, and all of my desktops are going to be Ubuntu. That's based on personal experience, which leads to personal opinion. :p

I definitely agree that whatever you're using is probably the best. Just remember most distros are the same, but they have different support branches and software management, so find a community you like. I like the ubuntuforums.org community, which is why I'm using ubuntu, but I know a few people that love the suse support groups, so they are going suse.

Above all, buy your CDs from an online source, perhaps an online source mentioned in a signature.... somewhere.... (hint hint!) j/k download it for free if you've got the bandwidth!

7. SHAKIRALOVER

Gonna try Ubuntu server, downloadin tonight.

8. centered effect

centered effect What's a Dremel?

Might as well download the debian net install if you want the server install. Debian will be 100mb compared to Ubuntu's 700mb. You can still apt-get whatever you need.

Tags: