1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Blade Re-Runner

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Nov 2010.

1. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Was a big (and I mean big) fan of the film, so loved this game when it came out. Unfortunately, I could never work out how to get the alternative endings, and always seemed to get the same one. But, if I hadn't got rid of this game in a clear out, I'd be playing it now :)

2. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Am still a big fan of the movie. Vangelis did a wonderful job with the soundtrack. Too bad Westwood didn't manage to obtain permission to use in the game.

But why doesn't gog.com have it in their catalogue? Are Westwood being bullheaded about this? (as a matter of fact, have you seen any of their titles on gog.com?)

3. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Wow! eye of the beholder, lands of lore and kyrandia in the first page!

But back to the article, thats a GREAT "retroview", when publishers where interested in making games and not cutting edge graphics with amazing effects. Although the visual for such games where top notch by the time, it was obvious that it was just a complement to the game, not the main attraction.

Everytime a GOG comes up, we can see lots os good feedback from the users, and I think the matter deserves a constant column here at BT. Possibly one for each 15 days or so?

I can feel a PS: Torment coming up...

4. EdwardTeach

EdwardTeach What's a Dremel?

Great article, would love to see more of this on Bit-Tech.

How about syndicate next?

5. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Played this about a month ago after rediscovering it in a box upstairs. An excellent game. Even works on Win 7 64 - albeit with one glitch, no targets show up in the shooting range, but what the heck, that's only a side game anyway, the rest works perfectly.

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I've just got it running again on Windows 7 x64. It involved creating a new installer, but it works fine.

When you start the game, the graphics usually look garbled, but ALT-TABbing out and then back in again solves that.

So far, apart from the shooting range, I haven't noticed any other problems.

7. Glitch

Glitch What's a Dremel?

I love this game, takes me back a little. Good atmosphere and finding evidence on the photos was good fun

8. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

Obviously the main premise behind Blade Runner went over your head. The point of the film is not to think "ooh how exciting, a cop who hunts down replicants". It's much, much deeper than that.

Sigh.

9. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

We'll over-look the fact that you have attributed a quote from Joe's article to me. But I'll step in on Joe's behalf...

Has the main premise of the film gone over Joe's head? Depends on what you think the premise is... Care to enlighten us?

Does Joe really think "ooh how exciting, a cop who hunts down replicants"? What leads you to that conclusion? I can't say I agree. Apart from describing the mechanics of the game, he only hints at the story and it's meaning - let's face it, this is one game that does a reasonably job of telling an actual story itself.

If you are looking for 'deep' you should be looking at 'Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep'. Not one of Philip K. Dick's best books, but nevertheless it's premise is the premise behind Blade Runner. Dick wasn't involved with the film, and although it differs from the book in many ways, he though it expressed his ideas very well.

10. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've got the book and the film and the game. I find myself in the rather odd position of actually preferring the film over the book. Still a good book mind, just prefer the film. One of my all time fav films. It would be on my desert island list..if you follow me.

There is actually a book called: Blade Runner 2: The Edge of Human, that follows on from the film version of the story. It's written by K. W. Jeter. It's not bad really. I reckon it's worth a read, but don't expect it to be on the same sort of level as Philip K. Dick.

11. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

There are actually 2 more Blade Runner books beyond that one. I think Jeter was a mate of Dick and he 'completed' the story after his death in the early 80s. Absolutely no idea if they are any good.

If you like Dick's dystopian futures, you might want to read A Scanner Darkly, or Ubik, which is my favourite.

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Hmm is it. Never looked into seeing if there were any more.

A Scanner Darkly, I've been meaning to read it for years and years. I must get around to buying a copy. I've got so many books on my to get list or my current read list, that I often don't know where to start..lol.

13. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Favorite film and one of my favorite games, a classic.

14. mdshann

mdshann What's a Dremel?

Windows Vista? Really? one would think the people we turn to for tech advise would have dumped Windows ME 2 by now.

eh, just teasing you. Vista really isn't that bad, especially not since SP2 has been out. This looks like a cool game I may have to try it out. It's been to long since I've even seen the movie I think I've forgotten much of it!

15. Callsign: Maniac

Callsign: Maniac What's a Dremel?

Adored this game when it came out! at the time I thought that's it! Games have peaked! It won't get better then this.

Tags: Add Tags