1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Core i7 Rig for ~£1000? (possible)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rowin4kicks, 1 Mar 2009.

1. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

Hi

I have been pondering about building a new rig for a while, i knew i wanted to go water cooled, at least for the CPU anyway. With my budget restrictions i thought core i7 would be out of the question, but after looking around a few sites on the interwebs it could just be within my grasp!

What i am asking you is can i get a i7 rig for £1000 or less?

I need the following:
    CPU
    Ram
    Motherboard
    HDD
    PSU

I have got the following from scan...

[​IMG]

and from eBuyer...

[​IMG]

is there anything specifically wrong with these, and will the Corsair PSU have enough juice?

Also im leaning towards the Foxconn Renaissance Intel X58 as it is just yummy!

Cheers:D

2. Elmorn

Elmorn What's a Dremel?

The thing that Im wondering is, is it worth the extra cash to get a faster(?) cpu and a slower video card for a gaming rig for the epeen of a core i7 system? Althou I dont know if thats why you do it, and honestly its kind of hard to say as a system vs system comparison since most articles focus on specific component comparisons, or same price bracket comparisons, whereas this is ddr3/core i7 vs ddr2/C2Q.

But I guess it comes down to which one will suit your reason for making this comp, a fast CPU or a fast GPU, as most games (if not all with the exception of some RTSs) are limited by your GPU solution. Its rather rare to see a CPU being under even 90% load during "normal" gaming.

3. rowin4kicks

Im not a big gamer at the moment, i mean i dabble in a bit of COD4/5 for a bit of fun but im no way near interested enough to eek out an extra 5 fps or anything like that.

I'm gonna use the machine for quite intense CAD work and for rendering purposes.

I want this to last me without a major upgrade for a while as im in my gap year atm and can just about afford to put the cash into this machine as apposed to being a very poor student.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

6GB of memory!! Don't get short-changed for 3!

I never realised the HX620 was so expensive these days - they've shot up in price haven't they! You could almost get a Antec Signature 850W for ~1/3rd more. Definitely a CM UCP900W, but both would be overkill mind.

Certainly consider the Dark Power Pro 850W and CM Silent Pro 700W too.

The HD 4870 1GB is far, far cheaper than the GTX 260 right now as well - could save you a few pennies for the same performance.

5. rowin4kicks

After taking your advise on the graphics (I hadn't even looked at ATI went straight nvidia), and the CM power supply looks alot better for my needs tbh, the only reasons i went for Corsair is their reputation and their cables which i really like.

Here is the revised list with the Foxconn Renaissance Intel X58 mobo.

[​IMG]

Cheers

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ Looks good for my liking..

7. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Chosen a cooler?

8. rowin4kicks

Im going fot the Ek Supreme (with Acetel top naturally) or the Aqua-Computer Cuplex HD (also with the Acetel top)