Modding Custom aluminium case molding/manufacture

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fenriswulf, 15 Jun 2004.

1. Fenriswulf

Fenriswulf What's a Dremel?

Has anyone gone down this road at all? The case I am looking to design is very curvy, and while it will be able to hold the mobo and other parts, it will be extremely different from normal rectangular cases.

Having said that, does anyone know the various costs getting specific panels moulded to speficiations (and curvature requirements) would be? Has anyone here done something like this, or even had a specific aluminium frame made for them? I am very very interested in the logistics of such a project, and what was necesary.

So far, I can see I need scale drawings of the parts required, perhaps done via a drafting tool engineers use, such as solid works or the like (or a form of CAD). These would have to have the technical specifications needed so they could be entered into the machining tool so they could be angled and cut correctly.

As to what shape I need? It's kind of oblong with... well.. rounded bits all over it. Too hard to shape as one piece, and it would need to be done in separate parts to be functional as I require.

Any help?

Fenriswulf

2. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

i would suggest that you start drafting mate.
    get your solidworks model made, and then post some picutres, there is a siteonline machiene shop
    and they will mill your whatever case thing... or lazercut flat panels, and i think they said they would shape it too. but it will get kinda expensive :duh: