1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding custom case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by deiol, 6 Apr 2005.

1. deiol

deiol What's a Dremel?

What methods have people here used to cut parts for a custom case? I want to make an aluminum case, and I need several holes for I/O plates, windows, etc. cut. I tried searching on laser cutting, but I never found anyone who has actually done it.

2. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

Try to piece the back I/O panel together from extrusions that you only have to cut to length. Glue them together with silver loaded epoxy to match the color.

I don't know much about cutting panels. If everything else fails try this method, but try it on some scrap first:

* Paint your panel with Latex paint.
    * Put a 1/4" tall (at least) rim around the area where you want to cut. It doesn't have to be particularly tight around (hot wax sticks reasonably well)
    * Scratch your "cuts" into the Latex with a sharp knife. Make sure you cut through to the metal and take out a very narrow strip of paint.
    * Connect a wire to the panel outside the rim
    * Put salt water into the tray that you have formed with the rim.
    * Put a graphite electrode (from a pencil) into the salt water
    * Using a car battery charger start electrolysis with (+) at the panel and (-) at the graphite.

It works slowly, sometimes gives odd looking edges and stinks from Chlorine. Still good for some artsy stuff.

3. deiol

deiol What's a Dremel?

wow! i was more of looking for like companies to buy custom cut sheets from, but that is a very interesting way of cutting the panels. if i get stuck cutting the panels myself i'll try that way, its very interesting

4. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

If you know exactly what you want draw it and take it to a local sheet metal place. If you don't have all the dimensions, then you have to go to a place that specializes in components for computer chassis. Expect to pay thousands for their expertise before you see the first prototype. Here are some I know:

http://www.bracket.com/
    http://www.purcellbrackets.com/
    http://www.rosemanufacturing.com/

If you design your parts around certain modular standard components you will get it cheaper. My favorite in this respect is http://www.8020.net , but if you ask for an ATX I/O panel their distributors will only stare at you. I had to draw mine every time. (No, I'm not going to give away my drawings. Someone else is trying to start a business with them and pays me good money.)

5. dharma punk

dharma punk What's a Dremel?

Pardon me for being ignorant, but is there a large amount of danger involved with this method? I realize there is a chemical reaction and the Chlorine must be somewhat volatile, but can I blow up my house if I screw it up?

6. deiol

deiol What's a Dremel?

By the time I'm ready to build I'll have exact dimensions, it looks like sheet metal place for me!

Hmmm, didn't notice the part about the chlorine... yeah I wouldn't inhale that, chlorine fumes could kill you, I'd do that outside.

7. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

www.customwatercuts.com place that does computer case stuff, It really depends how on the gauge of metal your using and how your buliding it, if its thing gauge sheetmetal, some of the stuff you might be able to cut by hand with a skill saw file dremels, angle grinders etc. but if its thick or lots of stuff you might want to consider some custom watercutting

8. D4VID

D4VID What's a Dremel?

I would say keep an eye on the car batt also, because they are liable to explode. They give off hydrogen, which can be ignited by any sparks; so definitely do it outside, preferably when there is a light breeze to disperse the gases.

9. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

Electrolysis of salt water is a popular student experiment at many schools (see http://www.arborsci.com/CoolStuff/cool12.htm for instructions, 1/3 down the page). There is no danger if you work in a reasonably well ventilated area, same as for paint jobs. There isn't much Chlorine produced, but Chlorine smells already in small quantities. If you hold your nose over an open bottle of Chlorine bleach you get a much higher dose from the slowly decaying bleach.

Chlorine itself doesn't explode in air because it is an oxydant, like Oxygen. The hydrogen produced in electrolysis is more dangerous if you collect it and then expose it to air in a fairly high concentration. Chlorine is very agressive on Copper. Keep all circuit boards away from your electrolysis setup.

10. deiol

deiol What's a Dremel?

Thanks this looks like exactly what I was looking for.