1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Dont know what TV to go for...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolamasta, 8 Oct 2013.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I am in the dilemma that I think its time to upgrade but not sure what route to go! I currently have a 46" Samsung LCD which I have had for nearly 4 years now, it was one of the high spec Full HD models out at the time and cost me just over £1000.

I have been happy with it and to be fair there is still nothing wrong with it but I am now fancying a new one that is bit bigger, thinner, LED, small Bezel, 3D etc. Also because the footprint of my existing 46" has a big bezel I could get a 50" in the same area plus I was fancying going bigger anyway :D

I know all about the active/passive 3D etc and to be honest the 3D stuff is not the be-all and end-all of what I choose so I don't really care what type it is, I am just after something that has a great 2D image and 3D comes second as lets face it 3D isn't going to be used very often really!

I'm not fussed about all the multi-media, web-browsing, DNLA, on screen this that and the other, just a decent picture is important :) My budget is around £1000 mark.

Any recommendations out there people? :thumb:

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

stick with the TV you have ?

most of the features you dont want are whats new in those TVs aside from thinner bezel ? £1000 is a lot to pay for bezels !

3. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

The Sony W9 series is supposed to be really good.

I am in the process of buying an LG 47LA6600 (I believe that is is the LG660V in the UK - this one http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-47LA660V).

The wife wants smart/3d so after a lot of research this was the best I could find for the price. The picture is amazing IMO although if you can afford to go up the range to the LA7xx or the LA8xx models things obviously improve.

Is this improvement worth the extra cost? For that I would suggest going to your local store and asking for the remote to the TVs you are interested in and having a play.

EDit: Link to 50" version at curries http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...50la660v-smart-3d-50-led-tv-21342716-pdt.html

Last edited: 8 Oct 2013
  4. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Lol yeah I might still do that and wait a bit longer, I have just been checking out the market and fancying something new, like I say its not just for a thin bezel, it will be a bigger screen, 3D and better pic quality etc :)

Cheers bud, I have been looking at this one http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...e50f6670-smart-3d-50-led-tv-21346293-pdt.html but been hearing about a few firmware issues on AVforums so not so sure now :eyebrow:

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Best bet it to go to a store and have a look. Since you don't seem to be in a rush you can take your time and have a decent look.

I'd lean towards a Samsung simply because it's there's a fairly decent Plex app which works with most Samsungs iirc.

6. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

Panasonic Viera TX-P50GT60B
    If you want to spend more get the VT. If you are rich get the ZT.