1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding electrical help.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Atarax, 22 Oct 2004.

1. Atarax

Atarax What's a Dremel?

that was the best title i could think of to describe the prob. :D So here goes.... im wanting to re-wire a piece of electrical equipment to a molex rather than the 12v, plug in adapter that was provided for it. I wouldnt be asking if the damn plug on the circuit board didnt have three prongs connecting it to the board itself. Ive tested all the posts and 2 of the 3 seem to be getting the same amount of elec. goin to em :eyebrow: . So, my question....how do i wire a molex to it? yes, all that typing for that very short question :hehe: . any help would be appreciated and if Ive left out any vital info please let me know, cuz Im desperate to finish this project. :sigh:

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

By, same amount of elec. goin to em, do you mean volts, amps or power?

How many wires go from the adapter to this piece of equipment (what is it? something fun?), if it's only two then it's a fair guess that one's ground and one's 12V, in which case the easiest way would be to get hold of a female molex, chop the adpter plug off, leaving a short length of cable.
    Then just splice the cables together, making sure you put the 12V line to where it will connect to the 12V from your power supply (usually Yellow wire), and the other to the ground (Black wire).

If you've got 3 wires then it's anyones guess, if it is then post more info. What does the info sheet on the adapter say, they usually say what they input and output which might help to guess what each wire caries...

3. Atarax

Atarax What's a Dremel?

welp. what it is, is a Lumin Disc. pretty much luma-glass. and it runs offa that 12v AC adapter. i think i may juss cut the adapter off, and wire the remaining two wires to the molex. thereby leaving that whole dern plug connected to the circuit board. noone will see it anyway.

4. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

some female power connectors have 2 connections to the outside of the plug (usaly -) and 1 connection to the inside (usaly +).. its just to give it added support with pluging in and out. they all only have 2 wires going to them. just pick one of the 2 and solder to it, they should be connected together anyway.